Twenty-Four

"Mum..." Mac and Daniella draw out my name in the specific tone which lets me know that they are after something. 

"Hmm..." I hum back as I fold over the newspaper. I'm getting divorced. Again. I swear they must run this story every time there's a lull in actual news. Unlike normal there are a few things in there that hit a little too close to home, I mean how did they know the sex of the twins? Just a lucky guess? I'll have Sara look into it just in case. 

"Mum, do we have to go back to LA?" My son says quietly as he stands beside my chair. 

"Yeah, Mum, do we? It's much more fun here. We can do whatever we like. We can go outside, go to the park, we can walk to the shops and Grandma is here, so is pops and Nana Pam and Grandad. LA is boring." His sister adds at a much louder volume. This always happens whenever we visit Holmes Chapel and I have to admit I miss living here too. It'll always be home but Harry and I had made a joint decision that setting up base in LA made the most sense for work, flying here, there and everywhere was taking its toll on both of us and eating into the time we got to spend with the kids. 

"No! It's too told here!" Madison yells which attracts Robin's attention who starts whining about needing to get back to see Anlon. And seemingly not wanting to be left out on an argument the twins start kicking too. I can feel the beginning of a headache as four little voices clamber to get my attention. 

"Bambinos! What's with all the yelling?" Harry's voice cuts through the noise briefly before the girls turn their attention to him instead. Their voices ramping up in volume again.

"Come on, we have to go home but it's our last day here, do you really wanna spend it arguing?" Harry sighs. 

"Mum, can we stay? Please? Dad's the only one who needs to go to do the stuff he needs to before tour, he doesn't need all of us-" 

"Mac! No! That is enough!" I snap and I instantly feel bad as the room grows quiet and I see the tears roll down my son's cheeks. I quickly grab him by the shoulders and pull him into a hug as I hear Harry ask if I'm okay. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry I yelled but what you said is not okay. Your Dad loves you and your sisters so much, imagine how lonely he'd be all by himself for two weeks." 

"I didn't think of it like that," he whispers and I breathe a sigh of relief as he hugs me back. "He would miss you too." 

"And I would miss him," the words really hit home as I say them out loud, these last few weeks with neither of us working have been heavenly but having him around more has definitely left me feeling more dependent on him. 

"Can we go walk by the river?" Mac asks before quickly adding, "all of us, you and Dad too!" 

"Walking along the river good with everyone?" Harry asks and I relax as everyone seems to be in agreement. "Okay, everyone off and get your wellies and coats then!"

I smile as Mac gives his Dad a quick hug before running off behind his sisters and Sammy. 

"You feeling okay?" Harry's hands squeeze my shoulders and I twist my head to place a kiss to his left hand. 

"Uh huh. It's just I hate leaving this place too and hearing the kids squabble about it just makes it worse, you know?" I tilt my head back to look at him as his fingers tickle my collarbone and I smile as his left hand doubles back, his pinky tracing over my scar. Despite the shitty reason behind it, I've grown to love that scar or rather I love Harry's love for it, that he sees beauty in it and he finds comfort in running his fingers over it. 

"Yeah. LA isn't exactly homely, is it?" He sighs and I tilt my head back further so it brushes against his grey jumper. 

"You okay?"