Thirty-Three

"Baby?" I yell out as I reach the top of the stairs. I saw her sneak up here a few minutes ago. I'm hoping I can convince her to lie down or relax in the bath for a bit before dinner. I haven't seen her sit down all day.

"Jessi!" I walk into our bedroom and immediately realise why she can't hear me when I hear the bath running. My feet don't make any noise as I make my way to the doorway to our en suite and cough loudly to get her attention.

"Jesus, Harry! You scared me!" She yells clutching the small bottle of essential oil she's holding to her chest.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to," I whisper. My arms reach for her as my feet eat up the distance between us. "But great minds think alike. I was just about to come do this for you."

"This isn't for me." She smiles as she adds a few drops of the oil under the running tap. I take a deep breath as the scent of Neroli fills the air. One of my favourites.

"Wait! This is for me?" I blink at her as if she is talking a different language. I'm not the one who needs to relax.

"No, H! It's for my bit on the side, he's about to climb in the window!" She scoffs before pulling away from me so she can lean across the bath and light two Neom Organics Scent to de-stress candles.

"Funny!" I smack her arse as she's bent over and she lets out a yelp.

"I'm trying to take care of you," she sighs as she shuts off the tap, "please, just let me. You're gonna be gone and not just a drive to the studio gone but you'll be on the other side of the world and I won't be able to fuss over you." She takes a deep breath and then continues, "so please, let me do it now, while I can?"

"But I feel exactly the same. When do I get to take care of you?" My fingers brush her wavy hair back from her face as my lips ghost over her forehead. I place a kiss to the tip of her nose as she tilts her head up to look at me.

"H, get in the bath." She smirks.

"Are you gonna join me?" My teeth nip at the soft skin on her jawline and she lets out a quiet hum.

"Can't. I have things to do. Enjoy! I'll come get you when dinner is ready." She presses a kiss to my bicep as she wriggles away from me. I sigh as she scurries into the bedroom and closes the door behind her.

I turn back toward the bath with a pout. This isn't how this was supposed to go at all. Jess is the one who is pregnant, she needs taking care of. Not me.

I pop the buttons on my monochrome YSL shirt. I might as well get in the bath rather than stare at it until she comes to get me, I suppose.

-----

I listen until I hear the water splash, indicating that my stubborn husband has gotten into the bath and then my eyes land on his open suitcase, sitting on our bed with his holdall beside it. I contemplate pulling out all the clothes and zipping myself inside. I know we'll only be apart for five days but right now that feels like five too many. I make my way over to inspect his packing and tut when I find he's only packed a couple of jumpers. He'll freeze. It's clear that Madison gets her aversion to the cold from her Dad, I've known him to wear triple layers in the middle of summer. 

I spin on the spot and march into the wardrobe, immediately loading jumpers and hoodies into my arms before it registers that he's going to be staying in Holmes Chapel. Our wardrobe there is just as well stocked as the one here. Maybe that's why saying goodbye is feeling even harder than usual, because he's going home without me, without us? I quietly fold the items I have in my arms and place them back in their proper spots on the shelves.