Thirty-Two

"Jess!" My husband's voice comes barrelling over the top of Andy Gibb's I Want To Be Your Everything which is playing quietly in the kitchen while I prepare the ingredients for tonight's dinner. 

"Yeah?" I call back while continuing to chop the vegetables. I'm making an aubergine and tomato curry, it's one of Harry's favourites and I plan to spoil him as much as possible over the next twenty-four hours. He's leaving for tour in the morning. The venue in Manchester has agreed to let him set up a few days early, so they have some time to practice on the stage with the new lighting rig that Tony had sorted for them. His impending departure is hanging like a heavy fog over the entire house but it's especially tough on Harry, he's quiet, tense and his hands are even more needy for attention than usual.

"JESSI!" His voice has jumped several octaves so I clean the knife and put it away, just in case any sneaky little fingers get a hold of it. 

"Where are you?" I yell as I make my way out of the kitchen.

"Here!" He yells unhelpfully but I turn my body towards his voice and spot the door to the linen cupboard open in the hallway. I quicken my step as sheets, and blankets come hurtling out the door. 

"H? What's going on?" I huff as I struggle to bend over and pick up the mess he's leaving in his wake. 

"Where is it Jess? It has to be here!" He sounds frantic, his forehead is glistening with sweat as if he's just come out of the gym.

I bend over to pick up another sheet and stand up just in time for one to come hurtling towards me and land on top of my head. 

"Okay, how about you stop throwing sheets at me and tell me what the hell you're looking for?" I pout as I pull the crisp white sheet from obstructing my vision. 

"My blanket - the kids blanket - the one made from our favourite of their baby outfits - I can't travel without it," the crack in his voice tugs at my heart and I slip my body under his arm so it's wrapped around me. I know the blanket he means but I don't recall seeing it recently. Along with Bob it travels with my husband whenever he's alone, he says it's like he's carrying a little piece of each of us and I trully believe he will not get on the plane tomorrow without it.

"Well, where did you see it last?" I ask and he groans out loud. 

"With Bob but I got him -" He waves the white bear in front of me with a huff, "but it wasn't there, did you move it?" 

"No, I haven't seen it but if you help me tidy up this mess then I'll help you look for it." 

He bends over and scoops the sheets and blankets into his arms before throwing them into the cupboard and slamming the door closed. "Done!" He grins as my mouth falls open in disbelief.

"Harry!" My hands bunch into fists at my side. 

"What?" He smirks. "Forget about it, in a few days you'll be gone and you won't need to worry about that stupid cupboard for months." He wraps his arms around me and walks us along the hallway. 

"Harry, thats not funny, you'll come back and tidy it later, right?" 

"Let's go with - yes," he chuckles. 

"Harry!" I whine, digging my feet into the soft carpet, trying to get some traction to stop us moving but he simply pushes me harder, my feet gliding along the floor with zero resistence. 

"What? By the time you need to use it again you'll have forgotten all about this and I can blame one of the kids - et voilà, free labour to tidy it up!" 

"Don't use French to try and get out of this!" I huff, really trying to dig my heels in but nothing is working. He's moving me as if I weigh nothing.

"But you love it when I speak French - especially when we're nude."