Thirty-Seven

"Okay, everyone got a hand?" I ask as I struggle to hold Madison in my arms. Both she and bump are having a growth spurt, making it more difficult to carry my impatient toddler. The excitement is literally buzzing in the air at the thought of getting to see the missing piece of our little family unit. It simply hasn't been home without him. 

So far, mine and Harry's plan seems to be working. There were minimal paparazzi at LAX and our flight was peaceful, a few fans had spoken to me and asked me to sign a few things, but apart from that it was quiet, the kids even slept for a few hours. Which of course means I'm dealing with four balls of fiery energy right now.

"We see Daddy?" Madison yells in my ear.

"Soon, sweetheart." I kiss her cheek as Mark, our head of family security, helps steer the luggage trolley. Him and another member of security have travelled with us since Gemma and the kids were staying in LA a little longer. She'd somehow convinced Sammy's parents to agree to let him visit Disneyland with them for the weekend.

"No, Mummy!" Mac's panic stricken voice sends a shiver all the way down my spine as he throws his arms round my body like he's clinging to a life raft.

"Shit!" Mark exclaims and halts the trolley. Great, now I know it must be bad. 

"Go check it out!" He yells to James as my eyes settle on the scene that has my son terrified.

"You're okay, Mac. I've got you." I squeeze his shoulder as I swallow a gulp. This isn't good. There has to be at least thirty photographers, not to mention the fans screaming and yelling. I automatically scan around me to make sure the kids are close. 

"Mummy, let's get Daddy!" Madison squeals, her body bumping against my hip as she bounces up and down.

"Mum, I'm thirsty." Daniella tugs on my elbow as Robin starts whining about a phone charger. Kids! I roll my eyes as I try to appease them until we get to the venue.

"It's not good. There's not far to go but we're gonna have to move people." James frowns as he walks back towards us. 

"Mummy!" 

"Mum!" 

"Mum!" 

"Mummy!" 

I can feel the anxiety rising in my body just like the dull ache building in my forehead.

"OK. Troops, I need everyone to listen," I speak as calmly as I can manage and wait until all four kids are looking at me. "Robin and Daniella, I need you to go with Mark - Mac, you'll come with me - and Madison, you hold James tight as you can yeah?"

"No Mummy, I don't - I can't. Please?" Mac begs. His arms wrap even tighter around me and a feeling of guilt swims in the pit of my stomach. I hand Madison over to James and crouch down so I'm level with my son. 

"Listen, Bud! I know it's not going to be easy but the longer we wait here the worse it will get. I'll be right beside you, I promise." I try to reassure him. His wide eyes make me wonder if he heard a single word I said.

"Can you carry me?" He whispers, quiet as a mouse. The guilt is almost too much to stomach as I shake my head. I can barely manage Madison with my bump so there's no chance I can lift Mac. "Well, can we call Daddy? He can come and carry me."

"Come on, Mac, you know if your Dad comes it'll get much worse. A few minutes and it'll all be over." Mark encourages as he places a hand on my trembling son's shoulder.

"Why does Madi get carried?" He huffs as he glances up at me, completely ignoring the 6ft body guard.

"Fine, James can carry you and I'll -"