Twenty-Three

"Lena!" My nephew snarls and as his eyes dart around the room at everyone, I try desperately to think of something to draw their attention. 

"Oh! Did you all get your Tour tickets?" My wife beats me to the punch and her fingers squeeze my thigh as she glances around the room but it's too late. 

"This is so fucking embarrassing!" Luka yells and I hear feet stomp across the floor as my head spins from my Mum behind my back to the two boys or I should say one boy, now. Gem has stood up to follow after her son and I want to do something to help Sammy but by the time I've stood both me and Jessi up, he's gone. 

"Where'd he go?" I nod towards the spot where he stood just moments ago. 

"Robin took him..." The rest of my wife's words trail off as I walk into the hallway where she had pointed. 

"Why would he say I'm embarrassing, Rob? I -" 

"Hey! That's not what he meant," the words are harsher than I intend but I love my nephew and I can't help but defend him. The hurt look in the boy's eye makes me soften my voice, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap at you but he just meant that the situation was embarrassing, not you. I mean give him a break, his little sister just outed him to his entire family." 

"Wait! What?" Sammy's jaw almost hits the floor. "I just - but you guys are so cool - I figured you - I guessed he'd told you." 

"He told a few of us, me and Mac, Dad -" Robin points in my direction, "his parents-" 

 "Most of us knew, but we were happy to let him tell us at his own pace," I add. 

"We should go make sure he's okay!" Sammy says as he moves his attention from me to my daughter. 

"I think that would be nice," I smile. "Give him a hug from me." I yell after them as they head upstairs. I knew Luka would be okay once he got over his embarrassment. Not being okay wasn't an option for anyone in this family, the others would literally reshape the earth for you. 

-----

"So we seem to have a moment... you wanna tell me about these names you have tucked away in here?" Jess whispers. Her finger gently taps my forehead before she slides her hand back in the front pocket of my hoodie. Her hand rests softly against my stomach and it feels like my butterfly has sprung to life. 

"I need Mac for the first one, he thought of it," I grin as she quirks her eyebrow at me. 

"Sweetie, using the kids to get me to agree to your ludicrous names isn't gonna work," she chuckles. 

"Bud! Come here a minute?" I yell across the room to where he's sitting with his younger sisters. I smile as he rushes across the floor.  

"Yeah, Dad?" He grins, skidding to a halt in front of us. "Mum, look what we made! Dani and Madi are really good at getting the fidley parts." The look of pride on his face makes my heart happy and I watch as Jess takes the Meccano motorbike from him carefully. 

"It's awesome, Mac. Good job!" She kisses the top of his head and then he sits himself down on the empty spot beside me on the sofa. I grin to myself, glad that he didn't make Jess move, I'm enjoying having her snuggled in beside me. 

"Yeah. You did a great job teaching them what to do." I wrap my arm around him. His patience with his sisters never fails to amaze me sometimes, especially with a task where he likes everything to be neat and organised. 

"Thanks, what d'you want me for?" He looks up at me. 

"Tell your Mum the idea you had for the baby's name." I gently nudge him.