Twenty-Eight

"Daddy!" Madi screams before my feet have even reached the bottom of the stairs. 

"Told you he was here!" Dani bumps her shoulder almost knocking her off balance. 

"Where are the rest of my bambinos?" I yell while hugging Dani with one arm and scooping up Princess Madi with the other.

"Morning Dad, do you think you could tweet something mushy about Mum or somethin'? I'm seriously gonna punch the next person who asks me if you're getting a divorce?" My teenager asks while not even looking up from her phone. 

"Wait! Who says we're getting a divorce?" I yell after her. 

"Everyone." My son groans as he walks out of the kitchen with a bowl of cereal. 

"Who's everyone?" This is news to me, apart from that stupid news article at Christmas I have heard nothing like that. "And slow down with that cereal bud, I'm gonna make pancakes," I grin, my banana and white choc chip pancakes are all four of my kids favourite. 

"Mmm..." Madi hums in my ear but my son doesn't stop moving. 

"Cereal's fine." He shrugs his shoulder and joins his sister in the living room. Since when doesn't he want my breakfast? I spin to look at Jess questioningly but she shrugs too. 

"I'll go talk to him, he was quiet all last night. I think something's bothering him." And with that she's gone too. So much for everyone having missed me. 

"Dad, can I have extra choc chips in mine?" Dani tugs on my t-shirt. 

"Course you can pumpkin," I wink and my pout turns into a massive grin as she slides her hand into mine as we walk to the kitchen. 

"Work finished?" My youngest enquires and the look on her face as I shake my head shatters my heart into a million pieces. 

"I'm sorry angel. It'll be over soon." I hug her as tight as I dare. 

"One mo' sweep?" 

"Seven, maybe eight!" 

"SEVEN?" She screams in my ear as she wriggles like a little snake trying to get out of my arms. 

"That's ages!" Dani adds her disgust, leaving me feeling like the shittiest father possible. 

-----

"Mac? Sweetheart? Is everything okay?" I ask. I sit down on the sofa beside him. 

"S'pose." He shrugs.

"What's that supposed to mean? Either it is, or it isn't?" I smile as I bump my shoulder with his. "Look, I know I've been a little busy this last week or so but I'm always here if you need to talk."

"Mum, it's fine. It's not you - it's - Coach Williams said I'm gonna start the game on Saturday-" 

"MAC! That is awesome!" I pull him into a massive hug and almost spill his cereal all over him. "Sorry," I mumble. "Are you nervous? Is that what's wrong?" 

"No. Well, okay a little nervous but it's Dad, he's not gonna be there-" 

"Don't be silly, sweetheart. Your Dad wouldn't miss it for the world." I smile, I know Harry will be just as excited as our son is when he finds out. 

"Mum!" He yells, making me jump. "You're not listening. He won't be there. He told me he's working so just leave it!" He slams his bowl down on the coffee table so hard I'm worried the china might actually shatter but I know that would be nothing compared to the way my son's heart feels right now. What the hell is my husband thinking?