Five

Harry

My eyes fly open, and I sit upright in bed as I hear an almighty clatter coming from the bathroom. My hands automatically reach for Jess and I am already out of the bed before it fully registers that she isn't asleep beside me. I stumble through the unlocked door and pause as I take in the sight before me, everything from the shelves above our his and hers sinks is scattered across the floor and my wife is sitting in the mess, hugging her knees to her chest as she cries her heart out. 

"Baby, what happened?" 

"Nothing, Harry." She snaps as I walk towards her and I notice the familiar item she's clutching in her hand. 

"Are you late?" I ask quietly as I pry the pregnancy test from her fingers and put it in the bin behind her. I sigh as she shakes her head. "Baby, I thought we agreed -"

"There's something wrong with me Harry. I know there is. She got pregnant and they're not even trying. It's not fair." I sit on the floor across from her, my legs splaying out on the tiles. I carefully grip her ankles and hook her legs over mine before my hands grasp her hips and slide her towards me. 

"Who got pregnant?" I ask, hugging her tight. 

"It doesn't matter."

"Jessi, come on? Clearly it matters or you wouldn't be crying on the bathroom floor, would you?" I run my fingers over her spine, hoping to relieve some of her tension. 

"I'm just jealous. And I don't want to be but I..." Her voice trails off into loud sobs and I feel like somebody is repeatedly punching me in the chest. I hate seeing her like this. I hate that she blamed herself. I hate that we were failing at something which seemed so easy before and I hate that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. 

"It's okay to feel that way, Jess. I feel the same way when Doug sends me pictures of Jane. I want that for us." She nods her head up and down against my chest. 

"H?" She whispers quiet as a mouse, her head peeks up at me, carefully. 

"Yeah?" I smile at how cute she looks as I tuck her wavy hair behind her ear. 

"Will you still love me if I can't -" 

"Hey!" I interrupt her. "One - there's two of us in this, Jess. We not I. And two - don't ever fucking ask me that again. Of course I'll still love you. I'll always love you right up until the day my heart gives out, got it?" 

"I'm sorry. I just - I don't know. Maybe I'm having some sort of midlife crisis or something?" She sighs. 

"Fine, we can go buy you a flashy sports car but no divorcing me for a toy boy!" I joke and my heart races as she giggles through her sobs. 

"Oh, stop!" She scoffs. "Why would I want anybody else when I get to come home to you?" Her finger softly pokes my chest.

"Beats me?" I smirk but secretly her words made me feel ten feet tall. The fact that after all this time my girl still got a kick out of coming home to me, to us, makes me so proud I could burst. 

"Oh yeah..." She drags out the word with an eyeroll. "You're a cocky little shit!" I catch the playful little smirk on her lips.

"You love it!" I grin as I stand up and hold out my hand to help her up off the floor. 

"No. I love you." She places a kiss on my chest, between my swallow tattoos and I let out a contented sigh as her fingers link with mine. "Oh shit! I should tidy this mess." Her hand begins to slip from mine until I link my fingers more securely and pull her back.

"Leave it, we can fix it in the morning. Let's get you to bed." I lift her hand to my mouth and softly kiss her knuckles. "I love you too. So much."

-----