Six

"Baby, are you sure you don't want me to stay home with you?" We've barely left each other's side since I got in from work yesterday. I love that she understands exactly how I feel. My fingers crawl along her spine as her and Madi snuggle on the sofa. Jessi's hair tickles my thigh as she turns her head to look up at me. 

"Mm... I'd love you to, but you promised Mac and he's so excited." 

"DAD!" Mac yells and I twist my body to look behind me. "What should I wear?" 

"I don't know, Bud. What d'you wanna wear?" I ask. The fact he is asking me and not his Mum surprises me but makes me smile. He shrugs his shoulders, "will you help me?" 

Jessi lifts her head from my thigh, "have fun" she smiles as she sits up on the sofa.

I don't really realise how nervous my son is until he grips my hand with his as we climb the stairs. "Will there be lots of people there?" He asks as I give his fingers a reassuring squeeze. 

"Nope. Nobody you don't want to be there. I booked out Studio Three all day so it'll be just us. Uncle Jeff is on guard duty." I smile when we reach the top of the stairs. 

"And you really don't have to work?" He looks up at me with his hazel eyes which are a perfect mix of mine and Jessi's. 

"Promise. Nobody except Uncle Jeff knows I'll be there today." He nods once as we walk into his bedroom which compared to his sisters' bedrooms looks immaculate. 

"Okay... so I have this so far." He says as he points to the bed where a pair of pale blue skinny jeans sit along with his newest pair of Nike trainers. I let go of his hand and walk over to his wardrobe and slide the doors open. 

"Wait! When did you get this?" I ask as I pull out a patterned bomber jacket. It's white with coloured drawings of the constellations on it.

"Mum bought me it a few weeks ago. I don't like it." He pushes by me and begins looking through his t-shirts but I'm not buying that. I'd spotted the Burberry label, and I knew Jessi wouldn't have bought him it unless he'd really fallen in love with it. She always gave me a hard time for buying the kids designer stuff because they grow so fast and barely wear it. 

"Well, I like it. I think I might get Mum to check if they make it in my size." I say as I hang the jacket on the back of the door. 

"Really?! You like it?!" He exclaims, "I liked it too but then Daryl said it was a girl's jacket." 

"And? What does that matter?" 

"I'm a boy, Dad!" He huffs as I bend over so we're at the same level. 

"Yeah. And Daniella has your old trainers, she wears them all the time. Are you saying she can't wear them because she's a girl?" 

"No, but -" 

"Your Mum wears my shirts all the time." 

"Yeah, but -" 

"Half the jeans in my wardrobe are supposed to be women's. Some shirts too. It doesn't matter." He scoffs and I wonder if maybe I should get his Mum to explain, he'll listen to her. 

"You're famous, Dad. You can go outside in the ugliest clothes in the whole world and everyone will want them too. You don't get it." He sighs. "I'll get Mum to help me pick." He strides towards the door and I feel like he's just punched me in the gut. I fall back onto the floor and sigh, wondering how I could have handled that better.

-----

"Mac, slow down! I thought your Dad was helping you find clothes?" I say as he drags me towards his bedroom. "What happened?" I frown as I spot Harry sprawled out on the floor, looking completely defeated. I knit my brows together in confusion. I was confident this would be easy, my son actually has similar tastes in clothes to his Dad.