Thirty-Six

The tips of my fingers drum loudly on the table as I wait for my friend to answer the phone. "Come on, Jeffrey!" I mutter. Why isn't he answering? The phone continues to ring and ring, so I push myself up and begin pacing the room.

"Morning, Harry! Everything okay? You never warned me about the nuclear waste diapers, man! I swear somebody must be feeding Willow something radioactive." My friend breaks into a chuckle.

"Do you have my girls?" I blurt out the question that's been on the tip of my tongue since I dialled his number. "Sorry. Yeah, their poop is pretty luminous in the beginning. Still worth it though, right?"

"Definitely. I just can't stop staring at her, H. She's wonderful. And I just pulled up at yours and Jessi's now. How's prep going? Tommy said you're looking tired." He says before I recognise the sound of the front door bell in LA. I can picture the chaos his action will have caused so clearly. Princess Madi will have immediately stopped what she is doing and will now be trying to outmanouvre everyone else to get to the door first.

"I took my sleeping pills last night so I slept better. Didn't really like it though." I can hear the whine in my voice and I clear my throat to try and get rid of it.

"But it won't be for long, just until Jess gets there. Besides, think of it as you giving her one less thing to worry about, yeah?"

"Hmm..." I fall back into the chair I'd been sitting in earlier. I hadn't thought of it like that.

"Who'sit?" The sound of Madi's voice makes me smile.

"It's only me, Uncle Jeffrey," my friend replies.

"Mum's getting the key!" Dani's voice adds to the mix. The mention of my wife causes a slight pain to radiate from my chest. I think I'd give every penny I have to switch places with Jeffrey right now. I know she's going to open the door and sweep our friend into a warm hug and as I gaze around my empty dressing room the feeling of loneliness swells in my chest.

"Jeff?"

"Yeah?"

"Take care of them for me. Promise. Make sure they don't ask Robi anything stupid or too personal, I -"

"You know I will, Harry. You sure you're okay?" I can hear the concern in his voice so I try my best to sound upbeat.

"I'm fine, man but I gotta go. Got a thing. Tell Jess to call me later, yeah?"

"Okay. I'll let you know how it goes."

"Thanks. Bye." I hang up just as I hear my daughters yell for their Uncle Jeffrey and I force the lump in my throat back down. Come on, Harry! Pull yourself together! I know I'll see them soon.

I stuff my phone back into my pocket and breathe, "now what?" into the darkness. Drive back to Holmes Chapel? Maybe I can see if Mitch and Adam are free? Although not likely, both men were making the most of having their families together before we set off on tour. I could take a walk around Manchester Art Gallery, I'd heard they have a new exhibit.

A knock on the door pulls me from my melancholy. I swear if it's River again I might snap. She's been closer to me than my shadow for most of the time we've been here. I tripped over her twice.

"Mr Styles?" The meek voice comes from the other side, accompanied by another knock.

"Yes?" I force a smile as I answer the door.

"Hi! Uhm - I - your Dad is with security," she whispers. I recognise her as the girl who sits at the security desk to sign people in. I figure she must be pretty new to the job because she seems constantly on tenterhooks, like any second somebody is going to tear her a new one.