Twenty-One

"Right! That's it! Everyone inside!!" Harry's voice startles me from my book. "And I swear if you wake your Mum we're packing up and heading home!" I can hear the exasperation in his words as they echo throughout the large villa and I feel slightly guilty that I've been hiding up here on our balcony reading for the last hour. I woke up feeling calm and relaxed and I had intended to head downstairs but then I spotted the poetry book and quickly got lost in the pages. Now leaving my husband to look after six kids alone seems kinda selfish but as I heave myself up out the sun lounger, I realise that soon six kids will just be our norm. Wow! A family of eight! That hasn't sunk in yet. Perhaps we should think of this holiday as practise and if the tone of my love's voice is any indication then things are not going well.

"H?" I yell out as I carefully head down the stairs.

"Jess!" I hear him yell before he comes rushing to the bottom of the stairs to meet me. 

"Hi!" I just mange to get the word out before he throws his arms around me in the tightest, warmest hug. 

His left hand moves to caress my cheek as his lips brush over the opposite ear, "I know you're trying to rest but I'm so glad you're awake. Our kids are trying to kill me baby, I swear it!" 

I can't help but giggle at his words and the way his voice tickles my ear. I breathe him in and squeeze him as close as I can. "Aww, my poor baby. What did they do?" I whisper and turn my head to place a kiss to his wrist since his hand is still cupping my cheek. 

"Anlon and Sammy are constantly bickering about who gets to sit beside Robi, who gets to carry her plate, there is so much peacocking going on here I'm surprised the garden isn't covered in feathers. And the other three are just insane, I swear they don't know what danger is. Dani just almost knocked Madi off the edge of the infinity pool, the only thing that saved her was her brother throwing himself at Dani which almost knocked the stuffing out of her." His voice is racing at one hundred miles an hour and his heart is thumping even faster. 

"But they are all okay, right?" 

"Mhmm..." He mumbles into my shoulder, placing warm kisses to my exposed skin. 

"Well, there you go. Everything's alright," I whisper. My left hand strokes his back while my right brushes through his soft hair and I smile as he hums quietly and struggles to make himself smaller so he can maneuver himself further into my embrace. 

His right hand moves to cup my cheek and his breath tickles as he turns his head towards me, peppering my jaw with soft, needy kisses. "Manage to sleep?" He croaks. "I wanna stay here for the rest of our holiday," he adds while nuzzling his head into my neck. 

"Daddy! Time fo nails?" Madison's bare feet slap against the tiled floor before she crashes into mine and Harry's legs, her little hand gripping my calf. 

"Oh shi - uh - I mean shoot! I forgot. I booked nail appointments for all of us, you up for it?" He asks and pulls away from me to scoop up our daughter who is fizzing with excitement. 

"I don't want to go to the nail place!" Anlon huffs and Daniella agrees. 

"I'm going. My manicure looks like poop!" Robin adds and I glance at Mac who has all his fingers splayed out, inspecting his lilac nail polish carefully. "I'm good. Can we go to the beach?" My son asks, and all hell breaks out, everyone is yelling and talking over the top of each other. 

"Hey! Can we all just calm down, yeah? Whoever wants to get their nails done can go with Dad and the rest of you I will take to the beach. Sound good?" The squabbling stops as our children split up, Robin and Madison move to Harry's side and Daniella, Mac and Anlon move to mine. Sammy is the only one who doesn't move, his eyes fix on the floor. "Sammy? Are you okay, sweetheart?" I ask.