Ziam - Locks of Love

"Is it awful?" Zayn was standing in front of the boys, twenty minutes to stage, and his new hair was styled artfully all to one side. The sides and back were shaved short, but his natural waves were hanging over one eye. Liam had seen the bun when Zayn got it cut, but this was the first they were seeing it done up...and Liam was about to clear the room to have some alone time with the darker boy because of it.

"It's...yeah, it's good," Liam finally got out, probably minutes after everyone else added their own comments. He kept staring while the others went back to getting ready. He just wanted to wind his fingers into the strands and tug.

"Alright, Leeyum?" Zayn was looking at Liam worriedly, head tilted in confusion.

Liam coughed and rubbed his hand over his own short hair. "Fine, yeah. I really, uh-the hair is good."

Zayn's lips twitched up. That knowing smirk that made Liam want to push him face down on a bed to shut him up even though he hadn't said anything. "You like it?"

Liam was sweating now; he was sure of it. His palms were sticky and his hairline shiny. It was just Zayn: best mate, confidant, right hand man; Zayn. But right now Liam wished he was so much more. Liam always knew Zayn was attractive- he's not blind- but something about the new cut was edgy and dangerous and..hot. God, Zayn looked hot.

He realized he still hadn't answered Zayn's question and now Zayn was closing the few comfortable feet between them and leaning in. He put a hand on Liam's shoulder and put his lips to Liam's ear. "It's really soft right now, just after the cut. You could touch, if you want."

Liam actually shivered, like shaking shoulders, tingles down the spine, and all. Zayn pulled back and looked at Liam through his dark lashes, his hair a choppy screen over half his face. He looked more mysterious than even his reputation preceded, and so alluring. Liam reached a hand out and ran his hand lightly over Zayn's hair, eyes locked on his darker ones.

"I mean really touch it, Li."

Liam bit his lip and brought his hand to Zayn's hair, fingers combing through the freshly cut locks. It was soft. Liam licked his lips and let his thumb trail down Zayn's hairline as his fingers fell through his hair and onto his shoulder. "Soft," Liam whispered, almost as a side note, because Zayn was looking at him like he wanted something from Liam, but Liam didn't know what.

"Boys!" Paul called from the door. "Time."

Liam dropped his hand from Zayn's shoulder quickly and straightened out his shirt, walking away from the other boy and not looking back.

***

Zayn was like a different person on stage. It was like he was anti-Sampson and cutting off his hair made him stronger. He sang louder and danced more and smiled wider. Liam, on the other hand, was drooling the whole night, eyes wandering every few seconds to Zayn's laughing form. He watched him joke with Louis and play with Niall's rosy cheeks and Harry's unruly curls.

When Zayn finally made his way over, Liam was ready to pull them both backstage and turn off their mics. "Having fun?" Zayn said into his empty ear over the music. Liam just nodded but couldn't look at Zayn, afraid he wouldn't look away. "What's wrong, Leeyum? You've been weird all night. Did I do something?"

"What? No!" Liam tried to laugh it off, but then Zayn ran a hand through his hair to get it off his face and the laugh died in Liam's throat.

Zayn definitely noticed. He smiled that crooked half smile that always had Liam questioning...well, everything. "You really like it, don't you?" Liam just shrugged, but it was more like an awkward twitch of his shoulders. "It's okay, you know, if you do. I want you to." Liam's cue to come in played in his ears and the brunet boy actually apologized before leaving Zayn to walk the platform singing his part.