Niam - Tune Up

"This is a bad idea, Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Don't worry so much. It's easy. You've driven a car. You've ridden a bicycle." Niall nodded in agreement. "So, this should be easy. And I'll be sitting right behind you."

Niall eyed the motorcycle warily. "If you say so."

"There we go," Harry cheered and clapped Niall on the back. "Hop on."

Niall took a deep breath and rolled his eyes before swinging a leg over and settling down on the bike. The handlebars sat in a good position for his arms, the seat was comfortable. "Not so bad."

"See? Alright," Harry got on the bike behind him and curled his arms around Niall's waist, "let's take it for a spin."

"If I break it, you can't blame me."

Harry squeezed around him. "You won't break it. You've been practicing.

"Yeah, going ten feet."

"So, go ten more feet, and then ten more."

Niall sighed like Harry was testing him greatly, but started the bike and nonetheless. He put his foot on one pedal and revved the engine just a little as he let the clutch go. It jerked forward before Niall lifted up the other foot and they were off. Niall could feel his pulse racing in his throat and Harry's firm hold around him, but the wind and the adrenaline kept him from feeling much else.

They rounded a bend on the smooth, deserted road and Niall was too focused on the way the sun looked over the ridge and accidentally killed the engine. They rolled to a stop in moments and Niall groaned when he tried to start it and it merely gurgled at him. He took off his helmet and angrily flipped the kickstand down before getting off after Harry.

"I told you I would break it!"

Harry already had his phone out. "Don't worry about it, Niall. I'll just called someone to take us to my place and they'll have it fixed in no time." Harry came over and pet a loving hand over the sharp paint job as his phone rang. "I need a tow for my bike."

Niall gripped his hands into his hair in frustration as Harry handed out their location and hung up. He pushed the heavy metal contraption further off the road before sitting down next to it. Niall paced in front of the bike and Harry.

"I'm sorry. How are you not angry? I broke your baby."

"Niall," Harry said sternly to calm him. "The first week I had it I broke off a foot pedal. I've replaced the fuel line twice." Harry shrugged. "Stuff happens."

Niall seemed at least mildly placated by that because he settled on the side of the road next to Harry and waited for the tow truck.

It was fifteen minutes and two drawling stories from Harry later when the tow truck arrived and lugged Harry's bike onto the back of the truck while the boys slid in the front. The silence was awkward at first, but good ol' Harold couldn't let anyone walk away without talking about their breakfast. So, by the time they got to Harry's shop, the driver was giving Harry a hug and telling him he will definitely try that recipe.

They rolled the bike up to the garage just as a small brunette girl greeted them. "He knows you're coming, Harry. Take it in." Harry gave his thanks and pushed it under the roofing with Niall close behind.

Harry pushed it up to where a mechanic was hunched over in a dirty uniform, facing the other wall, and rifling through his tool box. "It wasn't me this time," Harry started by way of greeting.

The mechanic gave a small laugh in response as he stood up and turned around. "I don't believe that for a second." Niall almost knocked the bike over looking for something stable to hold himself up. His eyes travelled from short, mess quiff to round, indulgent puppy eyes, down his broad shoulders to his wide chest. Niall closed his eyes against the urge to move further and shook his head of those thoughts.