Atticus's POV

I stare at the ring on my finger. Autumn surprised me. I didn't think she would go through all that trouble to get me a ring, especially after I left her at the jewelry store to run to Anya's side. She kept on surprising me in ways that greatly pleased me.

I didn't think she was telling the truth about Anya, Because, There were many times when Anya couldn't even remember my favorite color. How would she have told Autumn about red diamonds?

But why would she lie to me about something so simple? Why couldn't she tell me how she knew what my favorite diamond was? I would have  believed faster that my grandmother told her more than Anya.

And why the fuck was her cheek so red? She didn't want to tell me the truth, but it seemed to me like someone had hurt her.

My hands tighten into fists at the thought of anyone hitting her. I couldn't get it out of my damn fucking mind. Why was she keeping it a secret from me? I knew that we weren't that close but we would soon be husband and wife. She should be more comfortable around me. She should trust me enough to confide in me.

She may think that this was over but it wasn't. I would continue to ask around until I found out the truth. Someone must know what had happened.

Could it be that someone was threatening her? fuck it Atticus. Why was I getting so worked up over this? I push those thoughts out of my head. I had other problems to deal with right away.

I wasn't sure that speaking to Anya right before the engagement was a good idea. Too many things could go wrong if anyone saw us next to each other and tried spreading more rumors about us. I knew how quickly rumors spread about my family.

I spot Anya a little distance away, and she quickly runs to my side.

"This needs to be quick, Anya. I can't be seen around with you. Especially not on an important night such as this." I explain.

"Is it so bad to be seen with me?" She demands.

"You were always proud in the past to show me off to the entire school. What has changed that Atticus?"

My jaw clenches, "I'm getting engaged to Autumn today. Engaged. Just think what would happen if anyone saw us like this."

She lightly touches my chest, "would it really be so bad if anyone saw us like this?"

I grab her hand to push her away, but she holds onto me tighter. "I love you, Atticus. I love you so much."

I froze. Hearing her tell me that she loved me after so long managed to wreak havoc within me. I've fought my feelings for her as hard as possible, but this made it a thousand times more challenging to do so.

She leans into me and places a light k!ss on my cheek. She tries to reach my lips, but I get the strength to push her away.

"Don't," I warn her. I run a hand down my face as I try to process what the hell had just happened.

I turn and walk away before things could get any worse. I almost gave in to her. I almost did something I would never be able to forgive myself for.

I run a hand through my hair. How much messier could this entire thing get between us?

I tried to make Anya hate me and hold onto my brothers instead, but it wasn't working.

She was still trying to get me back. I knew her pain, I fucking felt it.

I understood why she acted like this. I would never blame her. But I know I can't keep running to her side whenever she needed me. Autumn was understanding now because she knew of our past, but that didn't mean it wouldn't affect her eventually.

I'm sure she sees all the articles about Anya and me.

There were hundreds of pictures of us as well.

Autumn doesn't love me as Anya does, but she was still a woman with real feelings. I had to be careful not to hurt her.

I turn the corner and rush through the crowd.

Autumn was already at the center of the stage with our parents. They were no doubt waiting on me.

I felt a wave of guilt wash over me as I joined them.

Autumn turns rigid when I take my place next to her. Does she somehow know that Anya tried to k!ss me?

"Finally, my son has chosen to bless us with his presence." My father says loud enough for everyone in the crowd to hear. A few low chuckles follow. I clench my jaw as I spot Anya at the center of the crowd. I didn't want to look at her while getting engaged to her best friend. I know why she came tonight, but a part of me wishes she hadn't. This can't be easy for her to see. I know the pain. I've had that same pain for years.

I steal a glance at Autumn, and she still seems very uncomfortable around me. Should I not have told her that I was going to see Anya? Maybe it wasn't my best decision. I've found myself worrying about her more than I'm okay with admitting it.

It also feels like she's avoiding eye contact with me. It bothers me more than it should.

The ceremony begins, and it soon dawns on me that after today things will change forever. It isn't our wedding day, but it's a step towards it. There wouldn't be much time after this to change my mind.

This was my decision, and I always stuck to them. I would not back out now, no matter what I felt inside. I knew this wasn't going to be an easy journey, but I also knew that this was the right choice.

If my grandmother wanted this, she would have had her reasons. I trusted her. The fact that she gave Autumn her favorite necklace was enough proof that this was what she wanted.

My father announces that we're officially engaged and suddenly lifts both of our hands in the air to show off our rings. I was hardly aware of what was happening around me.

The reality of the situation was finally sinking in.
However, instead of a round of applause, there are loud gasps throughout the room.

I looked around me. I wasn't sure what was happening. My father looks at me. we're all looking at each other. We know that something terrible must have happened. The entire crowd wouldn't react this way for something small.

"What the fuck, Atticus,"Griffin says as he joins our side. Along with Damon,Dante and Clarissa "You've done it this time."

I give him a perplexed look. "What are you talking about?"

"This." He grits out as he shoves the phone into my face.

I take one look, and all the blood drains from my face. It's a video of Anya and me from today. When she kissed my cheek and told me she loved me, it cut right as she tried to kiss me. It didn't show when I stopped the kiss, leaving everyone to believe that we did,  kiss.

fuck!

This was the last thing I needed right now.

How the fuck do I get out of this one?