Clarissa's POV

After a long day at the academy with me trying my best to avoid Damon, I was finally home. He did try multiple times to speak to me, but each time I found a way to dismiss him.

He wasn’t happy about it; I could easily tell. I knew him well. I knew when he was frustrated, and this time I was the one causing his frustration.

This was only the beginning. Autumn was the one that suggested I avoid him for some time. It was working. I’ve never seen him this desperate to talk to me.

What did he expect after the announcement he made last night? Did he think I would happily congratulate him and Anya? Was he that clueless? Or was he playing stupid about the entire thing to avoid any conversation?

Again, I chose to return home with Autumn and Atticus.

I knew it was also upsetting Damon, and that was the point of it.

I also didn’t want to be around Anya.

Just as I opened the door to my room, someone grabbed my waist and pulled me inside. I gasped when Damon covered my mouth with his hand. Our eyes met, and we were both staring at each other silently.

I can feel the tension in the room. I know he feels it, also.

“Please let me say something.” He whispers. “I need to apologize. I need you to forgive me, Clarissa. I can’t go on like this. I can’t rest when I know you’re hurting. I can’t eat. I can’t fucking sleep. I can’t focus on anything but the pain you’re feeling because of me.”

Don’t skip a beat. Don’t you dare let his words soften you. I’m speaking to my heart, trying to convince the weak thing to behave.

He slowly moves his hand from my mouth. He doesn’t realize now that the only thing he can do to make things better is to call off the wedding.

“How long were you waiting in my room?” I ask him, looking around for anything I don’t want him to see. I have these crazy moments where I write his name on anything that I can get my hands on.

“Is that important?” He asks.

“It depends. Were you looking through any of my stuff?” I demand.

His forehead creases, “of course not. I was waiting for you. You left me no choice. You’ve been avoiding me since last night. I keep trying to talk to you, but you’re not giving me a chance to explain myself.”

“There’s nothing you can say to fix this, Damon.” I snap. “Can’t you see that? You made this decision on your own; you made your choice.”

“What choice?” He asks desperately. “What choices do I have, Clarissa?”

I sigh, “please leave.”

His eyes widen. “I want to fix this.”

“I can’t even look at you right now, Damon!” I cry. “I can’t look at you without wanting to cry. Please. Just leave.”

My words have completely shattered him. I can tell by the defeated look on his face. He slowly steps away from me. I don’t say anything as I watch him leave and shut the door behind him.

That was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I usually do everything in my power to spend as much time with Damon as possible. This is the first time I’m begging him to leave.

I stayed in my room for hours after that incident until I finally fell asleep.

. . . .

“Why don’t you spend more time with your sister, Cassius?”