Anya's POV

Damon tried to comfort me the entire ride home. Or at least to the home he thinks belonged to me. It was a rented apartment, I wasn't actually living there.

There were many secrets that I was keeping from him and his family. And it would stay that way until my identity was finally revealed to them.

"Atticus is just angry, he doesn't mean what he said." He tries to soothe me. I knew it was a lie.I knew when someone was serious and when they'd said something out of anger.

His words had fucking stung. I cared about him enough to prevent my mother from harming him and yet he was threatening to stop me from coming to his home.

All of this was because of Autumn, he was never that disrespectful to me in the past. The past Atticus would destroy anyone who ever tried to speak that way to me.

I knew he saw the hurt in my face, but for the first time, Atticus didn't look like he cared that he'd hurt me.

The only person he cared about at that moment was Autumn. Maybe seeing her cry had opened up his caring nature towards her.

"Please say something."

I sigh, "I'm tired, Damon. We can talk about this another time."

Or how about never? I didn't want to be reminded of tonight ever, I wanted to forget every word Atticus had said to me today. Though, I don't think I would ever be able to forget everything he'd said. Those words still hurt. Even now when I was far from him.

Autumn wasn't there to see Atticus stand up for her, and that was the only positive thing about tonight. If she had been there to listen to the way he spoke to me, I would have felt worse than I did right now.

When I saw her leaving, I was happy to see her crying. I was sure that Atticus had been mean to her. I had a lot to say when he woke up, and the first person he asked for was her. I didn't hesitate to tell him that she'd been gone for a long time,supposedly getting clothes for him from the house. I thought everyone would finally see that he should have
married me, not Autumn.

Somehow she'd managed to flip the situation in her favor. Now everyone thinks of her as the hero for protecting Atticus.

But it still bothered me that I had no idea why she'd left crying. What had happened between the two of them? I'd never seen Atticus fiercely protect her before as he did after she left the room. Whatever it was, it had drawn him closer to her instead of further away. I'd been fooled into thinking her tears were unhappy ones. Maybe she wanted me
to think that way to get the upper hand. Autumn was a lot smarter than I initially thought she was.

After saying goodbye to Damon, I made my way to my actual home, which was a few minutes away.

My mother is already waiting for me in the living room. From the expression on her face, I can tell she already knows what happened. She always keeps a close watch on the Fawns. I wasn't her only spy. She liked to be a step in front of them. She wanted to know their every move. She knew more about each of them than they knew about
themselves.

"I've completely lost control of him," I confess to my mother. I thought I would have had more power and hold over him, but I was wrong. Autumn has already taken complete control. She'd managed to beat me at my own game without even trying.

"I don't think he will listen to anything l have to say anymore. Autumn is the one that can get him to
do whatever she wants now. I've lost that privilege."
I'm not sure when Atticus changed, but he's not the same person anymore.

It meant that I couldn't protect Atticus from my mother as I'd done in the past. She would take revenge into her own hands now. I've been preventing her from doing anything drastic to separate them, but after what happened today, there was nothing I could do anymore.