Autumn's POV

"The daughter of Azai Reign." The overlords say in unison once more.

They're all staring at me, their gazes digging into my skin. I held onto Atticus tighter, knowing I shouldn't be afraid, but I was.

I'm terrified of these people and what they could do to my family and Atticus's hands moved to my back as they pressed me tighter against him.

If the overlords took me from him today, I wasn't sure if i would ever be able to see him again. I fought back the tears as I buried my face against his neck.

"Your family doesn't look surprised by her power." Sir Vincent notes. "Does this mean they knew about you all this time" he asks Atticus.

"Did they know that you were the daughter of the same sorcerer planning to kill all leaders so that he could become the only king?"

I inhale sharply.

The evidence was already in front of them, they were waiting for me to confirm it, even though we all knew their minds were made up.

"No!" I defend them. "They didn't know anything about me. Nothing. Even I didn't find out until recently. They are innocent in all of this. How can they be guilty just because of my father? He was the one that caused so much distress, not them, not me. Why should we have to pay for something that he did"

They don't look convinced. They have already determined that we are all quality. I would rather be taken in than see everyone here punished because of me.

"And you found out the truth after you were kidnapped?" The overlord asks me. "Is this true?"

They must already know who kidnapped me as well. I still had no clue who had told them. If it wasn't Atticus's parents that only left Anya, but she was here the entire time.

How could she have been in two places at once?
Was there someone else working with her that we didn't know about?

There is a chance she told them before she told the Fawns.

"Yes," I confess. "Azai's people kidnapped me. I still don't know why they let me go. They have their reasons, but as I told them, I'm not going to be anything like my father. I will not hurt innocent people. I don't want to be a ruler or their queen. I'm happy with my life, I don't need anything else but the people I care about are close to me."

"If you don't want to cause any problems for the people in your life, I suggest you come with us."

The overlord tells me. Atticus is still holding me, and I can feel him stiffen at his request.

"Don't listen to him." He whispers. "They are not to be trusted. We can get out of this. I promise."

"What will you decide?" Sir Vincent asks. "will you go with them, or do we have to hurt your family first?"

"No," Atticus growls. "She isn't going anywhere with any of you."

"Your family, as well as Autumn's family, has broken the rules. Are you aware of what we do to people who break our rules?" He asks him.

I close my eyes in frustration. They kept them in cells for years, some were even killed depending on how great their crimes were. It was a threat, and they knew it.

They wanted to scare me, and it was working. Atticus doesn't realize how much I would give up to protect him.

My eyes flash open, "If you hurt my family. I will destroy all of you." I promise them. "You know what I'm capable of doing. Atticus is the only reason I'm able to be this calm. If you take him from me, I will become someone even worse than my father. This I can promise you."