Autumn's POV

My heart felt like it had just forgotten how to beat, I had just got the shock of my life.

What exactly was Atticus asking from me? Let him love me? There were so many different possible meanings to that Sentence.

I was breathing hard, and I knew that he could hear it. He could even feel it with how close he was to me. And I think that he loved the way my body reacted to him.

"I'm not asking you to let me touch you tonight." He whispers as if reading my mind.

"I'm asking for a chance to let me prove to you that I'm different now. I'm asking for a chance to prove that you're the most important woman in my life no one else. I know I can't just say words and expect you to believe them, but please, give me this one chance. I can't function properly knowing you've given up on me, Autumn. I need to know that there is still time to fix things between us. After everything you've been through, this may be too much to ask you, but please, give me this chance."

My heart was practically jumping in my chest. I wanted to scold myself for getting so excited and happy over his words. I didn't want to allow him back into my heart that easily.

I wanted to give myself time to forgive him for everything he'd done. I wanted time to forgive him for his promises to Anya on our wedding day. I wanted time to forgive him for leaving me to go to her multiple times.

Many things still broke my heart every time I remembered them. It wouldn't be easy for me to simply forget about it. I needed the chance to heal from all of it. And I think Atticus understood that. That's why he was being so gentle with me.

I loved him. And because I loved him, I was willing to give him one more chance to prove that everything he said to me was true.

"Okay," I whisper. "You have one chance, Atticus. One chance only."

He breathes a sigh of relief, and his happiness gives me life.

"Can I hold you for the rest of the night?" He pleads.

I swallow, I loved having him this close to me. It made me act stupidly but would it be so bad to allow him to hold me just for one night?

No.

This was for me, I was doing it for me, not for him.
For my pleasure.

"You can." I finally answered.

I held my breath as his hand slid over my waist and he pulled my body closer against his. His face was now snuggled against my neck, and his hot breath tickled my skin.

I've never wanted to be held this way by anyone but Atticus. It felt so good to be in his arms. I never wanted to lose this. I always wanted to be here, right next to him.

We spend the rest of the night wrapped in each other's arms. It was the best sleep I'd gotten in my entire life. It was something I could look forward to every night for the rest of my life.

Our ride to school the next day was a quiet one.
Atticus didn't have anything to say to me. And I didn't say anything to him either.

Surprisingly, when we arrived, Damon and Clarissa had come alone. Anya was not in the vehicle with them.

It was very rare for her not to show up for the academy.

Where could she be?

Our first classes had been rushed, and it seemed like Atticus was uneasy about something for the entire day.

He looked like he was anxious, and it bothered me.

The first thing on my mind was whether or not he was bothered that Anya hadn't shown up for class today.