Atticus's POV

I Wish I hadn't made such ridiculous promises to Anya. I should have been upfront with her from the beginning. But she wasn't the problem right now, getting Autumn to open this door was more important to me. I knock once, then twice.

"Autumn!" I shout loud enough for her to hear me. "Open the door. Please!"

I tried again but, I heard her shouting asking me to leave her alone. Hearing her say those words to me, bothered me more than it should. It was almost like her feelings affected mine. Like we were connected.

But that couldn't be possible. I was connected to Anya, not to her. My mate bond was with Anya, not Autumn. So then why did this hurt me just as much as it hurt her?

"Why are you wasting your time with her?" Anya demands. "She doesn't wish to speak to you. I'm the one that's trying my best to make things better between us. I'm the one that's fighting for you. Can't you see that Autumn doesn't care for you at all?"

"She's only ignoring me because of you." I remind her. "Are you intentionally trying to cause problems between us Anya?"

She narrows her eyes and folds her arms stubbornly.

"Are you out of your mind Atticus?" She inquired.

"It's not my fault that Autumn doesn't trust you. I was never like that when we were together. I knew you loved me, and I didn't have to worry about any other woman in your life. I know you still love me. That's why l can never let go of you. That's why I plan on fighting for you till the end."

I was right. Anya wasn't going to let our past go. She was determined to keep fighting for us.

I hear footsteps, and I see my brother walking up the stairs toward us. His eyes find us, and he looks surprised to see us alone together.

"What's going on?" He asks as he walks to us.

"Everyone is waiting for you, Atticus. I didn't expect to see you with Anya. Did something happen between the both of you?"

Was Damon also about to misunderstand the situation? He should know that I would never disrespect my wife like that.

"Let's start the search," I say without answering his question about Anya.

It was of no use trying to get Autumn to talk to me now, and I had already promised her to bring her
friend back safely. The longer we waited, the harder it would become to keep my promise to her. Maybe if I found her friend, then she would forgive me.

That is if she remembers anything from tonight when she wakes up Did I want her to remember this? I don't think so. The look on her face even though she was drunk told me that she wouldn't forgive me easily for this incident.

It was even more useless trying to speak with Anya about her behavior. She never likes when I ignore her, but when I try to be friendly and not hurt her, she does things like this which makes it difficult for me to be there for her.

"Are there any leads so far?" I ask him as I walk past Anya towards the stairs.

Damon looks at her before following after me. He knows something must have happened. He wasn't stupid. But lucky for me, he didn't try to ask any other questions.

"No, none except that Griffin confessed to provoking Kane before they went missing." He informs me.

"How did he provoke him?" I ask. Griffin was always looking for trouble. This wasn't news to me.

"This is where it gets interesting," Damon says.

"Kane is supposed to be mates with Maya, Austin's sister who they've recently been reunited with. It turns out Kane had something going on with the girl he went missing with. Griffin was trying to get him jealous by flirting with her. Apparently, Griffin promised to help her make him jealous. It worked."