Clarrisa's POV

"What are you saying?" He finally breaks the awkward silence with a question. "Why will you be staying here instead of in your room?"

I bite my lip as I fidget with my hands. "I want to spend the night with you."

"Clarissa." He groans. "Do you hear what you’re asking me? I’m supposed to be your protector. You’re my adopted sister. How can I let you stay in the same bed with me?"

My eyes widen. "I know it sounds crazy, but I only want to sleep next to you tonight."

"Why?" He asks. "Why are you suddenly asking me for that? If anyone sees you here in bed with me, they will get the wrong idea. Especially Anya."

Where was Anya anyway? Was she even still at the party? I saw her when she ran after Damon. Why wasn’t she in here with him? How did he get her to leave him alone? She wasn’t someone to get rid of easily.

"I’ve had these nightmares recently," I lie. I’m using any excuse I can think of to get him to listen to me. A nightmare seemed like the best excuse for now. Damon usually listened to every word I said to him, and I hoped that he did the same tonight.

He straightens his back and stares at me with a worried look. It was working. My plan was working.

"Nightmares?" He asks.

I nod. Since when did I become this good at lying to him? I was this close to getting him to agree, I could feel it.

"It’s so bad. I wake up terrified almost every night with no one next to me. Tonight, I don’t want to be alone. Just for tonight, I’d like to be next to someone," I whisper. "And if I must choose, I choose you. No one else. Besides, everyone else is at the party, and I don’t want to disturb them."

And I also want to kiss you and hug you. That’s also what I wanted to say, but I’d already said too much for the night. I didn’t want to push my luck.

He runs a hand down his face. "Why didn’t you tell anyone about these nightmares before?" He demands. "How long have you been suffering by yourself?"

"I didn’t want to be a burden to anyone," I lie once more. I didn’t like lying to him, but I didn’t see any other way to get him to agree. Even I knew that I was asking for something quite insane. It would take a miracle for him actually to agree to this.

He sighs, "Clarissa, you know you can always come to me with any problems. I’ve always protected you from harm. At least I always try to protect you. I hate that you didn’t feel comfortable enough to tell me about this."

His words made me feel guilty about lying to him. He had no clue that I was making all of this up to get him to agree to sleep in the same bed as me.

"I know I can tell you anything," I promised him. Everything except my true feelings for him. And it turns out that’s the one thing I wish I could be open to him about.

My breath gets stuck in my throat when he gets up from the bed. My hands are shaking when he walks over to the door. Was he planning on leaving me inside here all alone? Was he that upset with what I was asking him to do?

I was shocked when I heard the lock on the door click.

He just locked the door with me inside. I turn to him in surprise.

"I had to lock the door," He explains. "If you’re staying the night in my bed, I can’t let anyone barge into my room and get the wrong impression. That could mess up your reputation and cause unnecessary trouble for the both of us."

I bite my lip and nod; I’m happy he’s even considering doing this for me.

"Does anyone know that you left the dance?" He asks me.