Autumn's POV

I look at Atticus walking towards the jeep.

I watch his hair fall against his forehead while he walks. I watched the angry frown on his face, like something or someone was bothering him.

I saw his eyes sweep over the jeep, searching for me. At least, I hoped it was me he was looking for.

He doesn't look like he has anything to say to me. He tried hiding his annoyance after Findings me sitting in the jeep, but I'd already seen it.

Was he angry with me for finally confessing to him?

Whatever it was that had him angry had changed his mood for the worse.

I didn't want to care about any of that, but I would be lying to myself if I pretended it didn't bother me. Anything that affected Atticus would also affect me.

Our bond would always make sure that happened, and even before we were bonded, things had always been the same. It was more prominent now, however.

Despite all of this, Atticus still looked good.

He doesn't look like he had been beaten just a few hours ago. Maybe that's why they let him out of the hospital so quickly. He had already healed at an impressive rate. I wouldn't expect anything less from someone like him.

His family is not far behind, and they're all getting into their vehicles. I can't imagine what they were thinking about me. I wasn't in the hospital while they were treating him, and I also left his room crying. It wasn't a good thing for me. And I was positive that Anya had tried to make me look worse.

Anya and Damon had left earlier than everyone else. She looked unhappy when they'd left, and it had surprised me. She had been happy just a while ago when she saw me crying and leaving Atticus's room.

What could have possibly happened in such a short period of time to cause her to leave the hospital in that state?

I don't have time to think about Anya right now. Atticus was nearing the jeep and I was going into a panic mood.

I tried to stay calm as he opened the door to the driver's side. I held my breath when he jumped into the vehicle and shut the door behind him. He was quiet to my surprise. He was not saying a word. I'm not sure what he's thinking or if he's planning on staying this way for the rest of the night. I didn't give him a chance to say anything after running out
of the room.

I know that I'm not prepared for his response to everything I'd said to him. That's partly why I left, but I also knew I couldn't avoid him for the rest of my life.

I know that Atticus doesn't love me. I knew that he loved Anya. I didn't expect anything in return for my confession. I didn't expect anything to change between us.

I was just relieved that I'd gotten it out of my chest, it's been inside of me for too long, dragging me down, keeping me back from being happy. It was finally out in the open, and I felt
like I could breathe again.

"Autumn-- "

"I don't want to hear anything you have to say, Atticus." I interrupt him. "I don't want you to try to make me feel better or make up lies just to comfort me."

His hands tighten on the steering wheel, and he doesn't try to say anything else as he starts the jeep and pulls out of the parking lot.

My heart was racing in my chest, and it felt like someone was squeezing it in their hands. I felt like I was bleeding inside.

I'd poured my heart out to Atticus, and I did it sooner than planned. He knew my deepest, darkest secret. Things I've kept inside for so long. He knows them all now.