Clarrisa's POV

His eyes narrow. However, instead of coming after Ares, Damon does the exact opposite. He turns and storms out of the room. I blink once, then twice.
Did he truly just leave like that?

I watch as Anya runs after him. I think she was also in shock at first to see that he’d left her in the middle of the dance floor without saying a word.

She didn’t look in our direction and probably doesn’t realize that he’d been looking at Ares and me before storming out of the ballroom.

What kind of a reaction was that? I couldn’t tell what he was thinking after fleeing the room like I wasn’t important to him anymore. He didn’t say anything to Ares and he didn’t try saying anything to me either.

I expected him to cause a big uproar. I expected him to throw Ares out of our home. Walking away from us, I was not expecting that.

Didn’t Atticus also say that Damon would ruin the party if he saw me with a guy tonight? Was he also wrong?

“I’m surprised.” Ares whispers into my ear. “He just left. That’s unlike Damon. After all the threats he’s made to everyone at the academy, this is a huge surprise. Maybe he likes me for you after all.”

My jaw clenched, and my hands tightened into fists. I didn’t like the sound of that. If Damon liked him for me, I didn’t. Damon was the only man that I wanted and I had my reasons for feeling that way.

“I need to use the washroom.” I lie. I had to find an excuse to get out of this room. I didn’t want to be here anymore. If I had to stay another second dancing with Ares, I would lose my damn mind.

“Do you need me to walk with you?” He asks. “I can wait until you’re finished.”

“I’m fine,” I assure him. “I’ll be back soon. You can look for another partner in the meantime so that you don’t feel lonely. I know from your name alone that it wouldn’t be hard for you to do.”

I knew there was no way that I would be back here after what had just happened. This party wasn’t going the way I wanted it to. I don’t wait for Ares to respond.

I turn and push through the crowd, hoping he wouldn’t be stupid enough to follow me.

“What’s wrong?” Autumn asks me as she sees me leaving. I pause just so that I could explain everything to her.

“Damon just left,” I answer her. “He didn’t try to do anything to separate me from Ares. There was no reaction out of him at all. I don’t even think it bothered him. I guess we were both wrong about this. I don’t see why I should stay for the rest of the party. It’s boring without him here and Ares is already annoying me. I can’t stand being in the same room with him right now.”

I was extremely disappointed by his reaction to seeing me with Ares. I expected so much more; I think everyone else did as well. But I was slowly realizing that there was nothing I could have done to change his reaction. Whenever Anya was around, he loved to forget about my existence. Tonight was no exception.

“Where are you going?” She asks. “I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for what he just did. I’m positive he was upset. I saw the look on his face. He couldn’t have been as unbothered as you believe he was. He’s probably just trying to control himself for the party. He wouldn’t want to bring attention to our family. I’m sure that’s his reason. He knows that our family has been through enough already, he doesn’t want to add to it.”

I thought I’d seen the look on his face too, but his actions said otherwise. I think we’d both misread him. Maybe he was finally ready to stop being so overprotective of me. Just the thought of it made me sad. I didn’t want him ever to stop being that way with me. I looked forward to it and couldn’t imagine not having that in my life.