Clarissa's POV

“You must think that something is wrong with me for liking someone I can never be with,” I whisper nervously.

She gently takes my hand in hers, “no one knows more than me what it means to like someone you’re not supposed to want. I have been in love with Atticus since the first day I met him. I was never supposed to have feelings for him, not when he was dating my best friend. It’s crazy to know I was in pain because of Anya, and now the same is
happening to you. Because of her.”

“It’s not just her,” l admit. “I know Anya is a pain in the ass, but I would feel the same way if it was any other girl. I hate seeing him with any woman that’s not me. I know it’s selfish and wrong, but I don’t know how to control my feelings.”

She gently rubs my back, “I know what you’re going through, Clarissa. I’m here to support you through it all. It will not be easy, especially since he’s your stepbrother.”

I nod, “I know that. I know getting a tattoo with his name was stupid, also. Everyone would freak out if they knew what I truly felt for him."

“As I promised you, no one will ever hear it from my mouth.” She promises me.

I smile and hug her, “I wish we were this close since the first day I was adopted into the Fawns family. I wouldn’t have been so lonely.”

“I wish the same.” She admits. “But at least we have each other now.”

“Why are you always trying to steal my wife from me?” Atticus asks as he spots us.

Autumn gapes at him, “you promised me that you would wait instead of coming to see me without a single warning."

He chuckles and pulls her into his arms, “I couldn’t wait. I wanted to see you in this dress. I can’t wait to get it-“

I clear my throat, “I love that you’re together for good now, but I don’t need to hear the rest of that sentence.”

Autumn blushes and playfully hits his shoulder, “come on, let’s get Clarissa to the ballroom so that she can find herself a date for tonight.”

“A date?” Atticus asks. “She doesn’t need a date. I’ve seen all the men present tonight; none of them are worthy of my sister.”

Autumn rolls her eyes, “we are not looking for a husband for her, Atticus. Just someone to dance with for the night.”

He shrugs, “I’ll love to see what Damon has to say about this.”

My heart skips a beat at the mention of Damon.

“Damon?” Autumn asks. “Why do you think Damon will have to say anything about her dancing with a man tonight?”

Atticus looked at her like she was crazy, “have you not been around him? Damon gets crazy protective over Clarissa; sometimes, even I need to tell him to lighten up. Ever since that witch almost killed her, he has become even worse. He’s always making sure that she’s out of danger.”

My heart skips yet another beat. It was true. Damon has become even more overprotective ever since that awful day.

I’d never seen him so scared, but even I was
terrified of never seeing him again. I thought she was going to kill me while my family watched.

I’m not sure what happened that night. Everyone was bound by spell-filled chains, but somehow, we all broke free from them. Autumn wasn’t there to help us, and I’m sure none of the witches there were responsible for freeing us; nothing made sense.

I’m happy that we were released, but it still bothers me that I didn’t know what truly happened on that night.

I also couldn’t explain why my arm had been sore lately since that night.