Page VI Chapter I: The Difference

A sudden urge or feeling or thought, something is telling me to listen and go with her. I also want to be kind though. I want to decline.

"You don't get to say no mister. You will go back with me to the hospital and you will, after my shift, go with me to my house to sleep over." She says, a sense of nervousness and heat rising in my cheeks.

I would be pointless to argue, so I'll just agree, "Ok." I say, nodding.

Both Barbra and I start eating the breakfast, whilst drinking our individually prepared coffees. The breakfast doesn't last and we eventually finish our coffee's. Barbra starts speaking about the town and by chance, my eyes wonder from her to the window and what's out side. I end up looking at a black cat, who mysteriously dips past a store and down an ally way. My focus drifts back and fourth between outside and Barbra. I make sure to keep my eyes fixated on Barbra as she speak, inspecting every facial features she may have. Time passes by and directly outside, the cat walks on the pavement. I wonder where it has been and why did the cat decide to ponder pass this very building. That cat becomes very visible in my mind and I manage to recall that very cat having glasses.

After not listening to her, I hear Barbra shift conversation and I snap back to focusing on her as she is telling her manager goodbye. Asking, I question the call. She tells me that there is an emergency at the hospital...

"Isn't there a way, I can stay here as you go back to the hospital?"

She responds quickly, "No, you are still going to require that final check up. It's to make sure you can move all your body parts without pain. That they need to keep it in records."

"Am I still going to your place after, right? I don't really have my own place and you did dangle a bit of hope for me, when you said that your offering a place to sleep."

Barbra nods to my statement and reassures me, "Don't worry, we will both go to my place to prepare you a place to sleep."

Barbra, already having paid for the meals and coffee's, opens the door for me and we both exit the café.

The car seats are warm and it feels a tiny bit stuffy, but I know it won't last long, since we're close to the hospital anyway. The car starts and Barbra un-parallel parks, driving towards the hospital.

Reaching the hospital, Barbra finds a parking spot and settles the car in the centre of it.

The hospitals front doors have a fan inside, situated above the doors, the air blows through my clothes.

Eventually walking though the hospital, Barbra and I make it back to the room I was placed in. She leaves the room a second after, after making sure I am sat down in the hospital bed.

I get out of the bed and open the window. Kneeling down, arms crossed and on the sill, I breath in the cold wind air.