Chapter 51- The Awkward Dinner

When I opened my eyes I knew I felt better than I did when I fell asleep, but my body still felt weak.

" Rena," I whispered, I didn't have much energy to speak. She didn't give me any answer and I guessed she must have gone out to get something but to my surprise, I noticed another person in the room and when I turned it was Markus.

Was I dreaming?

" Markus?" I called his name to make sure I was actually seeing right and indeed he was there as he walked from where he sat on the couch in the hospital room towards me.

" You look like you weren't expecting me?" He asked as he took a seat on the chair beside my bed. It was true that I wasn't expecting him, after calling him several times and not getting his response, and then when I woke up and expected to see him but didn't, I had lost hope of seeing him here.

" I'm sure you were worried about your child so you had to come see for yourself that everything was okay?" Because that is what he was always worried about.

" Of course, I don't want anything to happen to my child."

" Hmm" I hummed as I watched him and he did the same.

A knock came at the door and we both turned our heads to it.

" Come in," Markus said and the door opened to reveal a nurse who rolled a cart containing some medical instruments and to the other side food. And at that moment my stomach chose to growl embarrassing the hell out of me. The nurse was trying her best not to laugh and the pregnant hormones in me didn't like that.

She gave me water to drink. I took small gulps and then I relaxed myself. She then checked my temperature and my heartbeat as she took notes. When she was done with that she passed the food to me which to my surprise Markus took and I watched as he stirred the chicken soup then he brought the spoon to my mouth and I just quietly took it.

The nurse was gushing at us imagining what a cute couple we must be before she took the report and left.

" Thanks," I said as he finished feeding me and then he dropped the plate on the table where I remember Hardin keeping flowers and a basket, but they weren't there any longer. I looked to the drawer by my side and it wasn't there, did someone take them? Not thinking much I just decided that I'll ask Rena.

" Is there something you're looking for?" Markus suddenly asked me, I'm sure he must have noticed me looking around, why do I have a feeling that he saw those flowers and had something to do with why they weren't here?

" No, I'm not looking for anything."

" Hmmm," What was going on in his head again? I don't think I have the energy to be involved in any argument with him right now or anytime as a matter of fact.

I laid back on the bed and tried to relax myself, I suddenly felt like going back to sleep.

Markus's phone suddenly rang and I guessed it was work-related because he looked so serious, not like there was ever a time he didn't look serious.

" I'll be right there, keep them occupied until I come." He said to the person over the phone before he ended the call.

I thought he was at least going to tell me he had something urgent and had to leave but instead, he just opened the door and left. What kind of a man was he? Forget the fact that I was carrying his child, any reasonable human being would at least tell whoever they came to visit they were leaving or at least a get well soon.

Shortly after he left Rena came in with a bag in her hand and as soon as she showed me what was inside, every thought of Markus and his grumpiness disappeared.

" You know you're the best?" I said as I took the peanut butter from her and I enjoyed its sweetness.

A knock came again and this time it was the doctor.

" Mrs Arthur, how are you feeling?" They all assumed that I was Markus's wife, and I was already tired of correcting them.

" I'm fine thank you, doctor, just a little tired," I told him truthfully.

" That's fine, you're going to feel that way for some days but with enough rest and good medication you will be back on your feet again." He said before examining me.

" We'll have to keep you under observation for some until later in the day then you can be discharged."

" Okay doctor, thank you very much."

" Your husband warned us to strictly make sure you're okay before letting you go, and I wouldn't want to get on his bad side." From the doctor's eyes, I could tell he was thinking what a caring husband I have, if only he knew.

" Oh, I'm totally fine doctor there's nothing to worry about, but just to make you feel better, I'll stay here till you think it's okay for me to go."..

" Thank you for your understanding." He said smiling at me before excusing us and going out.

" But you're sure you feel fine right?" Rena asked me with worry in her eyes.

" I'm okay Rena, it was just a fever and I'm better now, you don't have to worry about anything."

" Okay."

Later in the day after the doctor came to examine me and gave me medications he told me I was okay and could go home. I couldn't be more happy, I didn't like hospitals they gave me bad memories.

When I got home I was helped by Rena into my room and she helped me lay on my bed making sure to cover me properly as she told me she didn't want to give any chance to fever again, I couldn't help but laugh.

When I woke up I was hungry and when I looked at the clock, it was already dinner time, so I got out of bed and dragged myself downstairs.

By the foot of the stairs, I met Rena standing there waiting for me like she was already expecting me.

" I was about to come to your room but saw you already coming down, it's a good thing you're better now." She said with a contagious smile, then her next words made the atmosphere suddenly become cold.

"It seems the boss's father wants to have dinner with you."

*****

Thank you for reading.