Chapter 62-I Care About You

Did I hear correctly or I was indeed beginning to have problems with my hearing?

" Markus, what do you mean by that? What do you mean by your are jealous?" I asked him but he didn't give me any reply, he just looked at me like he was trying to figure me out.

" Mark…" he didn't let me go finish as he cut me off.

" What do you want me to say? That I'm happy with the mother of my child being seen with another man like he's the father of my unborn child, while I'm here, what do you expect? you want me to be happy?"

" I've told you he's just a friend,"

" And I don't care, I don't want you around other men because you're mine!" I looked at Markus with my eyes squinted, there was something wrong with him, Markus must have hit his head. The Markus I was well acquainted with would rather cut his own tongue than say words like these.

I moved towards him and placed my hand on his forehead as if checking his temperature, and he just watched me.

" Did you hit your head? Do I need to call the doctor?" I asked him.

" I'm fucking serious, I don't like you with other men,"

"In case you're forgetting, I'm not your wife,"

" I've reminded myself well enough to know that you're not my wife but you're carrying my child and as much as I try to beat myself about it, I can't deny the fact that I care about you, I haven't been the best person to you but I promise to try, you've been carrying my child but I've done nothing but cause you trouble," I need to call the doctor, Markus had been cloned.

" Are you sure I shouldn't call the doctor?" At my question, he laughed, like Markus laughing. And then he took my hand and led me to my bed then he made me sit and he also sat down beside me.

" I know you're not going to believe me, I've had it all wrong, there are so many things I want to tell you right now but I can't bring myself to, but at the right time I will, I've been a total jerk to you, you've been nothing but a patient woman, I just have this idea about women and I've been punishing you for something you didn't do," This sounded so good this be true, I had to be careful, Markus didn't look like the type of man to just change in the blink of an eye.

" But when I saw those pictures,..." He stopped as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them and looked straight into my eyes, I just couldn't understand the emotions that were swimming in his eyes.

" I should have been the one to go with you for those exercises, I should have been the one taking care of you, I didn't need some jerk,..." I looked at him, indicating I didn't like he was referring to Hardin as a jerk.

" I'm sorry I can't help it but I don't like that guy," well that was because he didn't know him.

" I've always made it to be about the baby, but that had been a total lie, I care about you Jane," he said as he put the hair that had just come to the front of my face behind my ear.

" I just don't know how to show those feelings people want me to show, but for you, I'll try, it took seeing you with another man to help me realize that, I know this will take you some time to believe, but I'll be leaving for Dubai today, I hope you think about it and we can start afresh, I want to treat you like the way you should be treated, a queen, think about it," he finally said as he rose from the bed and looking at me one last time, he made his way out of the room leaving dumbfounded, more dumbfounded than I had been all my life.

I wasn't stupid to just foolishly believe him, but at the same time I didn't know what to do, could he be telling the truth? No, this was Markus we were talking about, I just can't believe him, things wouldn't change just like that.

I couldn't move from where I sat on the bed for about twenty minutes, my mind was just running, replaying Markus's words over and over again it was giving me a headache.

I had other things to do than let Markus disrupt my day.

" Hello Lola, I'm sure Hardin must have talked to you about me?" I said over the phone to Hardin's sister Lola, since I purchased the property for my bakery I had not taken any step in starting it.

" Yeah, he told me about you, you are that friend of his that everyone thought you were his wife," she said as she chuckled and I did the same.

" Yeah, that is totally crazy,"

" I agree with you."

" Well I saw what you did to his house and was pleased so I'm going to leave my bakery to you,"

" Is there a particular way you want it to be?" She asked and I thought for a while before concluding.

" I just want my shop to have a homely feeling, apart from getting pastries from me people can have their breakfast there,"

" So you want it to be like a bakery and a breakfast spot," she asked for clarification.

" Yeah something like that, so surprise me, do your thing," I said and she laughed over the phone.

" Well thanks for choosing me for the job, I won't disappoint you,"

" I trust you," I said before the call ended and my mind was once again filled with Markus's words.

I didn't want to think of him too much, for all I knew they were just empty words, so why stress myself over him? He had told me several times that I wasn't his wife and that I would be the last girl he ended up with.

What changed?