Chapter 69- His Joking Side

" Water," she repeated in a whisper and I quickly rushed to get water from the table and brought it to her.

" Here, easy," I said as I put the cup to her mouth while she took small sips.

When she was done she rested back on the pillow, closing her eyes. I wanted to see those beautiful eyes. I didn't want her to close them so soon.

She took a deep breath before she blessed me with the beauty of those eyes. Her honey-colored eyes stared at me and at the moment I knew I would stare at them forever.

" The baby?" She whispered and I knew what she meant.

" The baby is okay, you don't need to worry about anything, just rest, you need a lot of it," I said to her as she nodded her head and then she made herself comfortable and closed her eyes to go back to sleep.

I wasn't scared this time, I knew she was just sleeping and would wake up soon, this wasn't like when I wanted her to wake up because I didn't know if she was going to or not.

" I'll be right here when you wake up," I said as I combed my hand through her hair.

I took my phone and called my head of security.

" Is there any news about that goddamn perpetrator?" I asked him as soon as he picked up the call.

" I'm sorry Sir but we haven't found anything about who might have been responsible for the fire, whoever did that knew what he or she was doing, with the hoodie covering the entire face we're unable to reveal who it was," That wasn't what I wanted to hear, I knew what to do.

" Yeah, you've done perfectly well, that is good news, right? I should be happy with what you're doing. Listen to me, if you don't have anything good to tell me stop wasting my goddamn time," I said before I ended the call.

" Inspector Martin, I've got a job for you, my woman…," That sounded good…

" Her room was put on fire and we have a video to prove that someone indeed put the place on fire but the problem is that we're unable to identify who, I want you to interrogate everyone that was in my house the day the fire took place, for all we know they culprit might just be walking around freely in my house."

" I'll do just that," the inspector said and then the call ended.

**********

I survived, I survived the fire accident, I thought all hope was lost and I had died, especially when I first opened my eyes and found Markus smiling at me, I believed I had truly died but Markus wasn't dead so why was he here with me?

My whole body ached but my feet were worse, I couldn't really remember everything that happened, I didn't even want to.

Markus had his back to me seemingly lost in his thoughts.

" Markus," I whispered and he quickly turned and then he rushed to me.

" Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked me as he took my hand and I narrowed my eyes to where he held my hand.

" I'm not dead which is a good thing," he squeezed my hand as he chuckled.

" Not funny," We just looked at each other as if we were trying to communicate through our eyes.

" I'm glad you're fine,"

" When did you get back?" I asked him as I tried to sit up.

" You didn't expect that I'll hear about what happened and still be in Dubai, you wound me,"  He said, placing his hand on his chest in fake hurt. This was a different side of him, he was even joking.

" I didn't say that, I only asked when you came back,"

" As soon as I heard, you got me so worried sick, don't ever scare me like that," he closed his eyes as if he was trying to wash away whatever he was thinking.

My guardian angels were working double time because I just don't know how I didn't get any serious burn despite how the fire was, I just had a broken ankle because something fell on my leg during my struggle, if I was a character in a game I would say I had a lot of life. It was just so unbelievable.

" The doctor said you should have something warm for your throat being that you inhaled a lot of smoke," Markus said as she entered the room with a tray in hand to say I was shocked was an understatement, this was a billionaire carrying a tray to come serve me, did this really mean that he had changed for real.

" Close your mouth, it might catch a fly," Oh my mouth was open, that was how shocked I was. I quickly closed my mouth as I silently watched him.

First, he passed me a glass of warm milk which I took from him without taking my eyes off him, nobody could blame me, I was being taken care of by a billionaire who I could bet my right eye wasn't used to serving anyone, so it was scary.

After drinking the milk I passed the glass back to him and he placed it on the table beside my bed.

He sat beside me and took the tray of whatever soup they asked him to give to me as he brought it to my mouth but I refused to open up.

" Come on, it's for your good," he tried to sway me but I wasn't having it.

" It looks gross and there's no guarantee it going to taste any good," I said with my face turned to the other side.

" If it makes you any better, I'll taste it," Is he joking, who would take that horrible-looking thing, but surprisingly when I turned back to him he took a spoonful of it as if saying, see, I didn't die.

With a pout on my lip, I grudgingly opened my mouth and he put a spoon of the soup and fortunately, it wasn't that bad.

" See, I told you it wasn't so bad," He said with a smirk when he saw that I was eager for the next spoon, you couldn't blame me, I've been through a lot and it's normal that I'm hungry.

Markus was about to give me my third spoon of soup when a knock came at the door.

" Must be the doctors,"

" Or your clingy maid,"

" Stop it," I said as I playfully hit him on the shoulder, Rena is a darling nobody not even him is permitted to be mean to her.

" Come in," Markus said and the door opened but as soon as I saw who entered panic set in.

" Don't let them come close, get away from me! " I shouted as I hid behind Markus.

I didn't want them here, not today, not any day.