Chapter 101- Opening The Bakery

" What do you mean by you were forced to?" I asked her because my anger was already at its peak, I was at the volcano point and would explode any moment.

" At that time, my parent's business was about to go bankrupt and they told me that the only way to save it was for me to marry their business partner's son and at that time I didn't have a choice, I didn't know how to tell you this, I fought with my parents for days but they never cared what I had to say,..." Her eyes were red because of the tears that were rolling down her eyes as she tried to make me understand, understand what? I wasn't ready to listen to whatever she had to say but she kept talking and I let her…

…" So I got married without telling you, I've been living a life of misery since I got married, he doesn't treat me well and he hits me, I just couldn't wait to get back to you, I filed for a divorce the second year but he was more powerful than I was so I didn't stand a chance, not until he died of cancer and I saw it as my freedom, please believe me,"

" I thought you were smart Fiona, if you know me one thing you should know is that I'm not the kind of man to go back on my words, it doesn't matter what you say, you're just my past,"

" But you're not my past Markus you're my future, I don't see life without you, you're like that dream I've been wishing for to come to pass, I just couldn't wait to be out of that hell hole to meet you, you don't know what I went through just so I could be with you,"

" Fiona, wake up from that dream, there will never be anything connecting us again, excuse me," I said as I took my laptop and left the office.

I shut my room door in anger as I squeezed my eyes shut. I didn't know what to believe, was she telling me the truth, or was she trying to play me again? I've been fooled by her once, I couldn't let her deceive me.

I remember back then her mother didn't like me, she felt I couldn't give her daughter the life she deserved.

This was all so fucking confusing.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I brought it out to see that it was a call from one of my friends. We had a boys' night out but I didn't think I could make it.

" What's up, dude?" I asked as I picked up the call.

" Hey, why do you sound like you were forced to eat shit?" My life at the moment felt like shit, the only thing that made it better was my baby girl.

" So are you gonna join us tonight?"

" As much as I want to, I can't I have something to do,"

" Do you have a child or something? Why cancel?" If only he knew.

" Don't ask me questions, have fun," I said before ending the call.

What has my life become?

*********

I would be opening my bakery in two days, I needed to make money. I knew that Markus had enough power and money to fight me but I decided to return the money he gave me for the contract. He thought I cared about money.

He might have the upper hand now but I swear on my mother's grave that he was going to regret what he did to me.

I looked through the profile of my staff and was pleased with what I was seeing. They were all good at the business and with their help and experience my business would be kicking in no time.

" What are you thinking about again?" I came out of my thoughts as I faced Hardin who had two cups of coffee in hand as he passed me one.

" Nothing, I'm just looking at these documents, it's all the information about the staff from the bakery,"

" Oh," He simply said as he sat beside me.

" Jane, can I ask you something?"

" Is there a problem?"

" No, no, there's none, it's just that,..." He said as he scratched the back of his neck. What was he going to ask that got him behaving like this?

" I know it's not the right time to ask this, you know what, forget it," He said as he started rising but I stopped him.

" What is it, Hardin? You've helped me so much, whatever you want if it's in power I'll do it," I smiled at him to let him know that I meant what I said, people like him were hard to come by.

" It's nothing serious, you know you've been indoor since you came here, I just thought you might want to go out, I have a dinner to attend tomorrow and I was hoping you would accompany me,"

" You want me to be your date for dinner? I don't even look good to be taking to dinner and besides you know you're a popular figure, remember the pregnancy rumor? I don't think people are just gonna forget my face like that,"

" You're right, but I wish you could come,"

" Me too, but I don't want to start any rumors again, you know people are good at making speculations,"

If I wanted Alexandra back I had to stay away from dramas. I couldn't deal with anything right now that didn't concern my daughter. I just couldn't risk it.

***

The bakery had officially been opened, I addressed my staff and they all got to work. I felt hope inside of me, hope that something better was coming.

I went back to my office to reflect before I joined them in the kitchen to start baking.

I told myself I wasn't going to cry, why was I thinking of him now, why? My only focus should be Alexandra, I didn't want to think of what he did to me. He made a fool out of my love for him.

I suddenly heard loud cheering outside so I rushed to see what was happening.

It was Hardin, he told me he had a game this morning so he wouldn't be able to come for the opening and now he was here as my first customer which meant.

I gasped as I covered my mouth, tears of gratitude instantly filling my eyes.

He was helping me, as a top hockey player visiting my bakery, he was in a way helping me advertise my business without fee.

I watched as people took pictures of him and then other people started entering the bakery to see what was happening. In the process, they ended up buying one or two things and I felt happy.

" Thank you so much, Hardin, you didn't have to do that but you did, I'm so grateful," I said as I took a seat in my office while he sat in front of me on the visitor's chair.

My eyes suddenly caught a paper on my table and it read " Refund for Strawberries," I picked it up and scanned through it. I didn't know what I was looking for but my mind kept telling me there was something I needed from this paper.

" What's that?" Hardin asked.

" It's just a refund request for strawberries bought but I don't know why I keep staring at it."

" Maybe you like strawberries too much,"

" I didn't think that's it,"

" Oh my god," I said as I jerked up from the chair.

" Why didn't I think about this, I'm so stupid,"

" Think about what?"

" I know the answer to my problem, I've found the solution,"