Uncover

Andrew returned a few moments later. "Turns out we didn't need the photos after all, but I'll keep them for personal use."

"What do you mean?" I breathed.

"Johnnie's here already. With Jake."

"Oh, my God."

"He came to save you without even knowing for sure that you'd be here," said Andrew.

I was shaking at the sound of gunfire continuing as we spoke quickly.

Andrew continued. "And I don't blame him—I understand why." He stroked my hair.

Even though this Andrew man repulsed me, my heart kind of melted at that statement. All I'd been told so far was that people couldn't understand why Johnnie apparently cared about me so much. But Andrew said he got it. I felt seen by him.

"Stay in here, Brooke. Jerry, look after her," Andrew commanded before he left the room.

My heart was in my throat. I glanced at Jerry, who was staring at me with hungry eyes. I couldn't just stand there, I had to find out what was going on. As I began walking towards the door, Jerry limped over to me and grabbed my arm. His stupid expression was really annoying me, so I kicked him away in the balls. Now he had two injuries to deal with.

I turned back to the door, cracked it open a little, and secretly peered into the main room.

Johnnie and Jake stood strongly quite near the entrance to the building, with their guns pointed. Three of the masked men lay dead or injured on the floor. Andrew, and two other masked men stood around, with their guns pointed at Jake and Johnnie.

"If any of you shoot Johnnie, I'll shoot one of you. If any of you shoot me, Johnnie'll shoot one of you," Jake threatened.

"Look around you—you've lost enough men, it wouldn't benefit you. We're just here for the girls."

"Then you're mistaken," said Andrew. "They're not here."

"Then who's under that bag?" asked Johnnie, pointing his gun to the chair Kaycee was tied to.

"One of our girls. You aren't some pussy feminist gang, are you?" Andrew mocked.

"No, I just don't believe you," said Johnnie. "Take the bag off and maybe I will."

"No," said Andrew.

"Why not?" asked Jake.

"Because I'm not following the orders of some other gang," said Andrew.

Johnnie and Jake looked at each other, pointed their guns at the two unnamed masked men, and shot them both at the exact same time. Within an instant, Andrew fired back at Johnnie, shooting him in the stomach, but straight after, Jake shot Andrew back. Andrew fell to the floor, and although Johnnie was bleeding from his chest, him and Jake were the only men left standing. Somehow, just the two of them had managed to take down the entire room of gang members. Johnnie had been right: he'd always get away with it.

I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard an ear-piercing scream, and saw a girl run over to crouch over Andrew's still body.

Johnnie and Jake instantly looked at each other in shock, as if they knew the girl.

"ANDREW!" the girl screeched.

She breathed hard, uncontrollably, as she slid Andrew's mask off his face.

"Andrew fucking Tate," said Johnnie, shaking his head.

ANDREW TATE?! I had seen him on the news for going to prison in Romania on suspicion of human trafficking and rape! There was no way this was the man who had just kidnapped, beat, and then flirted with me. Well, I guess it suited him. Could my life get any crazier? If I managed to survive long enough to have kids one day, this would be one hell of a story to tell...although, I wouldn't wanna give them secondhand trauma.

Johnnie ran over to the chair Kaycee was tied up in, and took her hood off. "Kaycee," he said, glancing back at Jake to indicate for him to come over. "Where's Brooke?" he asked her.

My heart broke into a million pieces when I saw her face. It was still swollen, bruised, and bloody from earlier, but it was also completely soaked with tears, and her eyes were wide and bloodshot.

I threw open the door to, sprinted across the big room over to Kaycee, and flung my arms around her. "It's okay," I comforted. "Everyone's okay."

"Brooke. Get outside, go to the car," Johnnie demanded.

I ignored him and continued to hug her while she cried in my arms.

"You can take Kaycee with you, just go. Jake, you go with them."

I listened to him now and took Kaycee outside into the crisp air which was now dark with night. The black Mercedes was parked on the dry mud, and Jake sat Kaycee into it as I crept back over to the entrance and spied through the door at what Johnnie was doing.

"Alex, you're a fucking psycho!" he shouted at the girl who was crying beside Andrew's body. "You were really working with these guys?!"

So, he did know her.

"YOU JUST SHOT MY HUSBAND!" she cried.

"I don't fucking care, you crazy bitch!" said Johnnie, storming over to her. "Your husband kidnapped my friends."

I thought about the word 'friend'. I supposed they had kidnapped Sam as well, who really was Johnnie's friend, so maybe adding the letter 's' on the end of it was just easier than saying 'my friend and the bitch that I kidnapped'. Then, I shook my head—this really wasn't the time to be analysing that.

"YOU'LL REGRET THIS! I SWEAR TO GOD!" screamed Alex, now scrambling around on the floor, searching for Andrew's dropped gun, which had slid off somewhere when he fell.

"Really? Who's gonna help you get revenge, Alex? Everyone looks pretty dead to me."

"Andrew wasn't the person behind all of this. Someone else is, and that person is not gonna stop until he takes you down," growled Alex.

Then, Johnnie raised his gun and pointed it towards her head. "You know what? I haven't had the opportunity to do this in a long time, and I should've taken it the last time I last did."

But, before he had the chance to shoot Alex in the head, Jerry stood outside the little photo room we'd been in, and he shot Johnnie's gun straight out of his hand, making it land across the room, nearer to Alex than himself. Jerry tried to fire a second shot at Johnnie, but, by the grace of God, there were no more bullets left.

Johnnie quickly ran out of the building before Alex or Jerry had time to grab a spare gun. He grabbed my arm, pulled me into the car, and without hesitation, Jake drove us off.