Brewing

Tara's POV:

So I made my way back to Jake's room and shook him gently, waking him up. "Jake," I whispered.

He groaned. "What, Tara?"

"Johnnie needs you."

He sat up now. "Why, is he okay?"

"Brooke's alive, and she's on the phone."

He shoved the bedsheets off him. "What the fuck?"

"And Kaycee's with her."

He stood up then, upon hearing her name. "No fucking way."

I placed my hands on his shoulders, preventing him from storming into Johnnie's room and giving Kaycee a mouthful down the phone that instant. "Jake, she found Brooke. Don't get mad at her for disappearing. We couldn't have found Brooke without her, and without finding Brooke, you would've been stuck with your best friend Johnnie being practically suicidal."

He took a deep breath, and then pushed my hands off his shoulders. "Fine. Well, where the fuck are they?!"

I gave Jake a quick explanation on how Kaycee had found Brooke as we walked out of the bedroom, and down the hall towards Johnnie's room.

The two naked girls Johnnie had kicked out were sat on the floor in the corner of the hallway. "Ugh! Get your pussies off the ground. I don't want no snail trails," Jake groaned at them.

They looked frightened, then stood up, and ran towards the bathroom.

When Jake entered Johnnie's room, he glared at Vinnie. "What's he doing in here?"

"Brooke called my phone."

"Why the fuck would she call you?"

"I don't fucking know."

"Because this is Zach's phone! Vinnie's number is on it," answered Brooke from down the line.

"Hey, Brooke," said Jake with a laugh, but his laugh stopped when he noticed Johnnie.

Johnnie had his head in his hands, and he looked really tough.

"Johnnie, are you okay, dude?" asked Jake, putting his hand on Johnnie's shoulder.

"I don't know," mumbled Johnnie.

Then, he started retching, like he was about to throw up. I guess it was all the alcohol, and the shock of things.

"Tara, go make him a coffee," he demanded.

I nodded and quickly left the room, but hovered outside the door for a minute, peering through the gap.

Jake turned to Vinnie, and spoke in a deep voice. "How did Tara hear about this phone call, then?"

"Because I told her about it?" said Vinnie, instinctively straightening up to seem taller.

"She was in bed right next to me. It would've woke me up, too."

"Well, that's because she wasn't in bed right next to you..."

My heart tightened in my chest. I prayed to God that Vinnie wasn't gonna tell Jake I was in bed with him.

"...she was in the bathroom, crying," finished Vinnie. "The door was open, that's how I found her."

Well, that was a lie...but a good excuse. I wanted to see if Jake would be upset to hear this...but I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He stared at Vinnie for a moment, saying nothing, and then turned to tend to Johnnie in defeat.

I quickly ran downstairs then to make Johnnie's coffee before I took too long and started to seem suspicious.

When I got back upstairs with the coffee, I waited outside the door for a second again. Johnnie was telling Jake they needed to hurry, they needed to get in the car now and go and rescue Brooke.

"I know Johnnie, but you can't go like this." Jake then turned to face the door and bellowed, "TARA, HURRY THE FUCK UP, WE NEED TO LEAVE SOON!"

I was just about to enter the room, but I stopped myself for a moment when I heard Vinnie's response.

"Hey, man, don't yell at her like that."

"I'll yell at her however the fuck I want, because she's my bitch." Jake paused for a moment. "Or do you think she's yours? Is that it?"

"You know why she was crying in the bathroom, Jake? Because of you. Because of what you did to her. What you do to her."

Jake smiled. "And yet she still keeps coming back. That's how strong her love is for me. I can do whatever the fuck I want to her, but she won't leave."

"Because you don't give her a CHOICE. You'd better be careful, bro, or one day she won't come back. She'll be with someone who treats her right."

Jake laughed. "Oh, and that someone is you, right? I've seen how you look at her. The way you act towards her. But you think I don't notice. You think I'm that fucking stupid. I know. The reason I haven't done anything about it is because I'm not fucking threatened. You can try seducing her. Fuck her, for all I care. But she'll always come running back to me, and I don't even have to do anything to maintain that."

Vinnie glared at him. "Well, if you must know, I have—"

I swung open the door then and walked in, interrupting them.

I knew what Vinnie was about to say. 'I have fucked her.' But I couldn't let him tell Jake...for his own sake. Jake might not necessarily care about me getting fucked, but he sure would care about his ego being bruised. Just like how he cared when Kaycee had had sex with Jared. He would, without a doubt, kill Vinnie, and probably me, too. And I couldn't let that happen.

I felt on edge now, knowing that there was a possibility Vinnie would let it slip. I had to make sure he kept his mouth shut. I regretted what I did with him so fucking much. As if I didn't have enough to worry about already...

Of course, Vinnie and Jake stared at me like two deer in headlights as I pretended I had no idea what they'd been talking about.

Jake broke the awkwardness by taking the cup of coffee from me and handing it to Johnnie.

"She's gone," Johnnie mumbled.

"What?" asked Jake, leaning down closer to Johnnie to hear him better.

"The call ended. I think they took the phone," he said.

Jake sighed. "Okay, well, you got the address, right?"

"No."

Before Jake had time to rage, I interrupted. "It's 1A Loch Road, Redwood, San Francisco. The Elderberry Unit."

"Thank fuck. Okay, Johnnie, drink that up and then let's leave," said Jake.