Chapter 14

Fade in. Scene opens on the exterior of the MFC boxing arena stadium. DAN is stepping away from his taxi. NAMWOOK appears.

NAMWOOK: Doc Dan!
DAN: Oh, hey coach.
NAMWOOK: I've never seen Jaekyung like this before, doc. He's really going through it. Hurry!
DAN: Right.

Cuts to DAN and NAMWOOK walking towards a private room.

NAMWOOK: He's in here.
DAN: Okay.

NAMWOOK opens the door. JAEKYUNG is in a chair with an icepack on his left shoulder. YOSEP is by his feet.

DAN [Internal]: This is all a farce, right? He's not really hurt.

JAEKYUNG puts his head in his hands.

DAN [Internal]: ...Right?
NAMWOOK: Jaekyung! Doc Dan is here.

JAEKYUNG turns his head to look at them.

NAMWOOK: How're you holding up? Still really bad, or-?

JAEKYUNG gets up. He grasps DAN's forearm and pulls him towards him.

JAEKYUNG: Everyone out by him.
DAN [Internal]: Nevermind. It's a sex thing.

The background characters leave. YOSEP and NAMWOOK wait outside the door.

NAMWOOK: What? You're kicking all the staff out too? Isn't it a medical emergency?
JAEKYUNG: You'll just get in the way.
NAMWOOK: Hey!

JAEKYUNG slams the door and locks it. He turns back towards DAN, facing him.

DAN: So...?
JAEKYUNG: Let's make this quick. [Shoves DAN against the lockers] Strip.

Title screen.

Scene cuts to a press conference between JAEKYUNG and RANDY. A crowd watches them eagerly as they square each other up.

ANNOUNCER: And now! It's MFC 272's main match!
CROWD: Woohoo!
ANNOUNCER: Light heavyweight champion Joo Jaekyung: 'The Emperor', against middleweight challenger Randy Booker, better known as 'The Butcher'. Both players just passed their weigh-ins and this is the first time they're meeting in person. You can feel the tension from here!

RANDY spits in JAEKYUNG's face.

RANDY: Yeah, that piss you off? Hit me then! Just try it! A soft little baby like you, an emperor? A champion?! Ha! Motherfucker, I'll break your scrawny neck!

JAEKYUNG angrily steps forward. His MEN hold him back.

RANDY: Do it! Hit me! What? You scared? Hit me, you coward! I know you want to.

RANDY leans in and raises his middle finger.

RANDY: I'm taking you out in round one, asshole.
ANNOUNCER: Now those, folks, are fighting words.
CROWD: Oooh!
ANNOUNCER: It's looking like Booker really got under Jaekyung's skin!

NAMWOOK holds JAEKYUNG back.

NAMWOOK: Be cool, Hyung! Be cool!

Shot focuses on JAEKYUNG's angry expression. Scene cuts to JAEKYUNG training with NAMWOOK and YOSEP. He hits the sandbag.

YOSEP: How's your shoulder?
JAEKYUNG: Just a cramp. Keep going.
NAMWOOK: Oof, Jaekyung's looking a little stiff. I think that whole thing this morning got in his head.
COWORKER 1: That's not great. Booker's riding a winning streak and raring to go.
NAMWOOK: We can't take this energy into the match.