Chapter 41

Fade in. A series of article titles appear over JAEKYUNG's narration.

JAEKYUNG [Narrator]: The public's perception around Joo Jaekyung: The Emperor...
TEXT: Joo Jaekyung retains his MFC light heavyweight champion title. Joo Jaekyung defeats Dominique despite injury. "A shoulder injury can't stop me". Joo Jaekyung's mfc293 victory match hits record high viewership.
JAEKYUNG [Narrator]: ...Changed almost immediately after my match.

Cuts to JAEKYUNG walking into the gym. The BOXERS cheer and wave him down.

JAEKYUNG [Narrator]: My match fee doubled... and I received a lot of attention from the athletes.
BOXER 3: Incredible, Hyung!
NAMWOOK: That's my emperor!
POTATO: You're a beast, Jaekyung Hyung!
JAEKYUNG: Haa... [Looks at DAN]

DAN isn't looking. He walks out, holding his phone against his ear. JAEKYUNG's smile disappears.

JAEKYUNG [Narrator]: And yet, something is missing.

Scene cuts to DAN and JAEKYUNG sparring in their home gym. Their fingers interlock into hand holds as they tug each other back and forth.

DAN: Hrnn... ugh.

JAEKYUNG shoves him forward, DAN stumbles back. Shot focuses on DAN's disheartened expression. JAEKYUNG deflates.

JAEKYUNG [Internal]: His heart's not in it.

JAEKYUNG lets go of his hands. He grasps one of DAN's arms and at the same time, sweeps his leg. DAN is left tumbling onto the ground with JAEKYUNG on top of him.

JAEKYUNG [Heavily breathing]
DAN: ...Tap.
JAEKYUNG: Haa.

JAEKYUNG stares him in the eyes.

JAEKYUNG: You're not sick anymore, right?
DAN: Yeah, I'm fine.
JAEKYUNG: Right... [Frowns]
JAEKYUNG [Internal]: Then why's he so...?

JAEKYUNG stands up silently.

JAKEYUNG [Internal]: Ever since that match, something changed.

Clips play of the two in bed, followed by brushing their teeth and eating together. DAN appears upset and sullen. The clips end and JAEKYUNG glares down at him in real-time.

JAEKYUNG: You're getting stronger at jujitsu, by the way. I must say, I'm proud.
DAN: Okay.

DAN stands up and walks away.

DAN: Good to know.

JAEKYUNG watches him leave. He remembers the scene from the previous chapter when he said 'we're partners'. JAEKYUNG blushes.

JAEKYUNG [Internal]: He didn't... hear that... right?

Title screen.

Scene opens on DAN in the gym, watching as JAEKYUNG is surrounded. He suddenly gets a phone-call from 'Grandma's hospital (Sallim University)'. DAN's face drops. The shot cuts to him outside of the gym.

DR MISEON [Phone-call]: There has been a reoccurrence.

Shot holds on DAN's shocked expression. He presses his back against the wall and sinks down, until he's sitting on the ground. His heart races.

DR MISEON [Phone-call]: Despite our best efforts, cells from the original growth have been lying dormant in her system. Though it hasn't spread to anywhere else in the body, the cancer has unfortunately grown back.
DAN: Oh...
DAN [Narrator]: I thought my luck was finally starting to turn. But no.