○ 43

They crossed paths again

They crossed paths again. Kun divulged into the continue of their story yet the mystery of Chenle's disappearance left her perplexed. Where had he vanished, leaving a void in her life? 

The unsettling notion lingered, that perhaps her parents had a divorce, or worse. Her mind plunged into the abyss of an unimaginable fate. Unwillingly she confronted her thoughts bringing them to reality. The grim reality. Braced herself for all types of outcomes that are thrown her way. Maybe that was the reason why she was unfazed and composed as Kun led her towards her father. 

At the mere mention of the possibility of a reunion, a surge of elation coursed through her veins. Her mind became a whirlwind of anticipation, overwhelmed with a cascade of questions. 

What will he look like now? That was an old photo of him I saw. Will he recognise me? Did he forget about me? Maybe that's why he never came to visit. Wait . . What if he doesn't like me? Shit! Should I even meet him?

Unaccustomed to the weight of anticipation, Deiji found herself suddenly preoccupied with her appearance as she prepared for their first ever meeting. Never had she cared about her attire - hair, clothes, skin, every detail became a canvas of concerns. Was she projecting the image of a rebel, a delinquent, as so often remarked upon by others? Memories resurfaced of Sungchan's words, echoing how her unconventional style and disregard for norms often provoked fear in others such as her piercings and hair colour. 

 Yet, all those worries dissipated like they had not just empowered her mind  as soon as she faced Chenle. Contrary to her previous apprehensions, her fathers presence did not astound her. Strangely she was glad that he was where he was. There was no reason to worry whether he disliked or rejected her. 

Because there he stood, not alone but amidst a small group, lying motionless in a somber grave.

It was relaxing, a tranquil escape, a sanctuary where worries and frustrations could be cast aside.

Before settling by the pond's edge, Deiji observed the ripples to confirm there was no presence of any inhabitants in order to not disturb them. And then with a gentle flick of her wrist, she sent small pebbles skipping across the water's surface, their ripples a soft echo of her thoughts.

Under the embrace of the nearing midnight hour, Deiji found solitude. Everyone else was fast asleep. Even the ones who came back home. Upon their others return they welcomed her and Sungchan after learning who the girl was. She was grateful to them for letting the two stay the night and as long as they pleased.

She was aware that she should head back soon. But for now, she acknowledged the need for a long rest after their journey. Despite finding what she wished for, Deiji couldn't relax for a single second.

Unlike the rest who were deep in her slumber, Deiji remained awake. It's shocking, knowing that sleep was her favourite thing to do. But how can she, when the only dream that came to her mind was a flashback of what Kun said.