The Forest

In the morning, I was woken up by the sounds of birds chirping in the distance and shuffling.

I groggily walked out of my tent, the shuffle of the tent door alerting everyone to my presence. I reached around my tent and picked up my war axe, using it like a walking stick.

Lucas gave me a nod, "Looks like the sleeping beauty's awake now huh?" 

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked yawning and stretching my arms above my head. After the yawn, I snapped awake, shaking off any leftover tiredness I had from when I first woke up.

"We didn't want to disturb the prince's beauty sleep," Orico, said smarmily while shoveling his breakfast into his face. 

"Thanks, Ori" I scowled at him while he taunted me with a sneering smile. I sat down on a rotting log next to Landon and our captain, Terrance; Landon handed me my rations. "Thanks," I took my plate from him and set it down on the ground next to me, I wasn't hungry yet. I picked up my axe and dug into my pouch, pulling out a sharpening stone I had snagged from a village convenience store while we were passing through. Orico silently watched me sharpen my axe with the stone, the constant brushing of the stone against metal seemed to irritate him.

Orico set his plate down and snapped at me "Logan, be nice to your axe you'll dull it." He was trying to give me a subtle hint to stop it.

Craig, who had barely touched his food, stuck up for me "Leave him alone Ori, you're just made that Logan has the sharpest weapons among the group,"

"Well, he never does anything other than sharpen that damn axe!"

"I do more than that. Who do you think feeds your hungry ass?" I snapped back.

Orico stood up and walked over to me, puffing out his chest. I stood up to meet him, "You wanna go Logan?"

I equaled his posture, "Maybe I do!"

Ori and I glared at each other while everyone else just let it play out. After a moment Ori cracked a smile as did I, almost at the exact same time. Ori started laughing and placed his hands on my shoulders, "You know Logan, you may be an asshole, but you're a good asshole,"

"Same to you, dickhead," I replied, patting his shoulder.

"Are you two done?" Terrance asked

I sat back down as Ori walked back to his seat, "Ya, we're done," I picked up my axe again and continued sharpening.

Lucas set his plate down and leaned forward, looking at me, "How do you sharpen your axe to such a sharp level? Your axe could definitely cut through dragon scales" Lucas said confidently.

I chuckled and set my axe down. Landon spoke up before me saying, "Sorry, Logan, but nothing could cut through dragon scales, not even your axe," Landon remarked, putting down Lucas's claim.

I waved my hand, "No, I agree, dragon scales, are almost indestructible; our weapons couldn't even scratch the surface of any dragon scales."

Ori chimed in with another question "So, what is everyone going to do when you get home from our tours?" 

Lucas grinned and leaned back "I'm going to quit the army and move somewhere I can relax with my wife" 

Terrance leaned forward and opened a locket on his neck "I'm going to marry my girlfriend" 

Landon shrugged "I'm going home to see my mom," 

"I'm just going to head back out since I have no family to go home to," I said sadly.

"Hey, keep your head up maybe you'll find a girl out there." Landon looked around like someone other than us was going to hear, "Excuse me saying but those elven warriors are kinda hot" Landon said unashamedly.