Dyron the Drilltusk Dragon

Hjan

My eyes stung from the tears that I was holding back. "Why did I do that! I shouldn't've pushed so hard! That was completely wrong of me!"

I didn't have anywhere specific I was going, I was just walking, but somehow managed to find myself inside the library. I looked around at columns and columns of comics, rows and rows of novels, and shelfs and shelfs of stories. I sighed and started walking around, looking for the biology and health section of the vast library, it might've helped if I knew where I was going "I might as well read up on biology," I felt slightly embarrassed walking across the library in search for something that Logan seemed so embarrassed about, but I had to know.

As I walked my regret and second thoughts tried to tell me to stop, scared of what I might find, "Do I really want to do this?" I asked quietly. I nodded my head, "Yup, too far down the rabbit hole," I kept my eyes up and scanning the signs labelling each section and subsection of books, "Alright, Humans, humans, humans... wait, why humans? I'm a dragon. No, I want to know about Humans, or dwarfs or elfs, I'll learn about—why am I even fighting myself about this? Just biology,"

While making my way to the biology section I heard someone else in the library, humming. Their voice was buttery smooth, the voice as deep as the crust of the earth, and a pure as the ocean of clouds Logan and I saw when he died.

I followed the voice as best I could, but because it was a constant tone it as hard to pinpoint, especially with the acoustics of the library. I followed the tone all around the library, eventually finding the source in the geology section of the library. I peeked my head around the corner and saw Dyron, sitting on the ground, flipping through a couple books. From what I could see he had 3 books, one of them was unimaginably thin: One was about the deep crusts of the planet, the next about the secrets of the planet and what lied beneath the surface, and the final one, which was in his hands, I had no clue, but it was very thin, maybe only a couple pages thin. Is that a children's book? Why is he reading such advanced books but holding a children's book?

He didn't seem to notice me, because he was still reading, then I heard his voice, "Where are you all?" his voice sent shivers down my spine, it was the kind of voice only few had, the kind that you'd love to have read a book for you. They could be reciting something minute and boring, but you'd listen to it.

I stepped around the corner and Dyron looked up at me with an alarmed expression. With a quick, single motion he closed all the books and stood up.

She shook my claws, "Woah, don't let me stop you from reading, I was just wondering if you could direct me to the biology section of the library?"

Dyron looked down at his books and pointed to the sign above him. I followed his claw to where he was pointing and saw I was in the subsection of biology and health: Dragons.

"Oh, thank you," I picked a book off the shelf: 'The life of a simple Prairie dragon,' the picture on the front was of a small scales lizard, barely the size of a small rat.

I looked at Dyron, who was looking at me through the corner of his eye. I looked away; Why is he looking at me? Did I do something wrong? I gulped and asked him another question, "Sorry to bother you again, but do you know where I might find human biology... specifically about kids...?"

Dyron tilted his head in confusion. After a moment he nodded and stood up. I put out my claws and desperately said, "Oh no, you don't need to physically show me, I don't want to interrupt you and your studying,"

He didn't listen, he walked away. I waited for a moment, unsure if he wanted me to follow or not, until he peeked his head back around the corner and jerked his head in his direction, signifying to me he wanted me to follow him. I gulped, blushing bright red and stepped over his book carefully, so as to not knock any of them over. As I stepped over them I saw the book he was reading. What I thought was a children's book before, I realized it was a book about his species: 'Drilltusk dragons, the dragons of the deep crust' was its title. In a moment, everything clicked; he was tracking them down with what he could learn about them from this book. How is he going to find anything about how to track his species? There's so little known about his species.