7 | Jade & Ruin

FLORENCE

I know she didn't mean it. She doesn't think that I'm stupid.

But it doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt when she insults me like that.

So I decided to give her the silent treatment so she can realise she can't say that. She had gotten all of her anger under control it seemed, yet, tonight it was different. She was on edge, I knew that. Because of many things, but it doesn't mean it's ok to call me that. Even in an argument. Even when she's pissed that I didn't listen to her.

She was silent across the room. I don't know what she was doing, because I was facing the other way in bed. But I didn't need to see to know that she was really upset and regretful right now. Trying to think of something to say or do.

I heard Ryan coo softly, so I had to look quickly. And Rhea was standing over him, staring at him with some adoration and some sadness. She looked at me. "Sorry." She whispered. "He's awake."

Oh damnit, he's definitely hungry. I completely forgot and tucked him into bed before his dinner. I got up and Rhea watched me come over. Pluck him from his bed and carry a very sleepy and probably hungry little man out of the room.

I didn't look back to see if she was following.

I sat on the couch and pulled my shirt up. Helping him begin eating, and he quickly stopped making whiny noises.

I could see her out of the corner of my eye follow and lean on the doorframe, quietly watching us from afar.

I never saw her so silent before. Just watching.

After a few minutes, Ryan was satisfied and fell back asleep in my arms. Full and ready to sleep properly now. I got up and walked past Rhea, and she softly touched my arm. I shrugged out of it and kept going.

That hurt me to do but I couldn't say she didn't deserve this right now.

I tucked him back into bed, and Rhea was at the door again, watching quietly. "Thank you." She whispered it.

Then Ryan woke up and burped gently, which was adorable, then he spewed a little bit, dirtying his clothes and the bed sheets. The blankets. Himself.

I closed my eyes and rubbed my face, exhaustion beginning to just take over. I reached in to pick him up and-

"Flo, let me do it." Rhea said and started coming over. "Please." She stood beside me. "You should hop in bed. You do too much for us."

I gave her a glance and then let her change him and the sheets as I got in bed. Now watching her from my spot as she cleaned up.

When she was done, she leaned over the cot as she sat on the bed, watching Ryan fall asleep again. When he was, she turned around to look at me. Seeing me still awake, she cleared her throat. "Sleep if you're tired, Flo." She said. "We can talk in the morning."

I didn't close my eyes, because I just couldn't go to sleep right now.

Rhea let out a deep breath. "I hate when you don't talk to me..." she admitted weakly. She swallowed. "I know you're upset at what I said, Angel. You know I didn't mean it." I heard her voice break and I really hated that. "When I get angry, I just speak sometimes without thinking. You know I do and I'm really sorry." She turned around fully and crawled over the bed to come lie down beside me. She cautiously reached for my hair and tucked some strands behind my ear. "You're so beautiful, and I have no idea how you put up with me sometimes. You're so strong and you're so smart. You've given me everything and I forget how fucking good you are. I'm so sorry. I promised I'd never hurt you, baby." Her eyes turned glossy. "I promised I'd treat you right like you deserve, and I haven't been doing very well. I've been doing horribly, Flo. As a wife and as a mother. I'm so sorry-"