39 | Neglect & Bandanas

FLORENCE

I felt sick.

I didn't even know how to speak. How to move. React. Even breathe.

Child protective services were at our door, asking to speak to us. Looking extremely weary and way too professional for this to be something good.

I glanced at Rhea somehow and she didn't say anything either. She was emotionless. Completely still, like her own stomach dropped and churned.

I don't know how I spoke, but I did, softly. "Yes, I'm Florence. This is my wife, Rhea."

"Great. Look, I know this is shocking. I can tell you weren't expecting me." Paul said.

No shit! Why was he at our home...

Paul continued. "We got an anonymous tip that your child was being neglected and treated poorly. Can I come in and we can speak further about it." He glanced behind us to inside.

Now I wanted to throw up.

An anonymous tip?

Neglect?

Treated poorly?

I swallowed deeply, saw Rhea was still stuck in her spot. Still so shocked. I felt horrible. I felt terrible.

Not because it was true. Ryan was treated incredible well. He was far from neglected. We both knew that.

It was the fact that someone thought we weren't doing that.

"Yes." I answered and grabbed Rheas arm, pulling her back so Paul can come through.

He did and glanced around. I pulled Rhea along with me as we sat down on the couch, Paul across from us.

"There's no easy way to tell you guys. But someone has told us that you are leaving your child alone, for days sometimes without anyone caring for them." He started. "Based on what I can already make out, the environment so far seems safe as the eye can see. I've been notified you guys travel a lot for work. Tell me about that and your child."

Really?

Seriously?

"Ryan is nearly a year old." I start. "He's definitely not left alone, Paul. We travel a lot, yes. But he goes to a great daycare program." I glanced at Rhea who was just staring at the man. I kept going. "Other than times we're travelling, he's stays with a really close friend of ours."

Paul nods. "I see. Do you mind if I get the daycares contact details so I can confirm that."

God, this was horrible.

I gave him the contact details I knew off my head and he jotted them down.

I looked at my wife who still hadn't said a thing.

I think Paul noticed Rhea was quiet and started to talk to her. "Rhea, I see your injured, is that a problem in taking care of Ryan?"

Really?

Rhea cleared her throat. "No."

Paul asked again. "You two are married?"

"Yes." Rhea whispered.

"How long have you known eachother?"

"Two years or so." Rhea said again.

"That's pretty fast to get married and have a child in that span-"

Rhea sat up some more. "Are you trying to ask if he was a mistake? How can he be a mistake from two women?"

I closed my eyes and Paul cleared his throat. "I wasn't asking if he was a mistake, Rhea. Simply if you thought you guys may have rushed into having a baby."