10 | Privileges & Funerals

RHEA

I shut the door behind me as I brought Flo outside. She was breaking my fucking heart, begging to break down inside the waiting room.

She fell into my arms as soon as I turned back around, sobbing her pretty fucking eyes out. She buried her cheek against my chest and choked. Cries and wailed. Couldn't speak.

"Baby, relax." I got out by her ear, squeezing her tightly. "He's gonna be alright, Flo. Baby, breathe for me." I whispered, trying not to break down myself. Partly from seeing Flo like this. Partly from having to bring Ryan here. The whole frantic ride to the hospital. Bringing him in and them taking him quickly from us for scans. "Hey?" I peered down at her and softly grabbed her cheeks, making her look at me.

Her eyes were soaked. Red. Her cheeks wet and lips wobbling, trying not to cry more.

She was so strong.

Suddenly, I regretted stopping on the break. I would have rather them t-bone me and destroy my truck than this happening. Than just seeing her break down like this. Be so upset...

"I'm sorry." Flo choked quietly.

She's sorry?

"What for, baby? There's nothing." I held her cheeks firmer, watching her face turn painful.

"That I didn't move out of the way in time. I didn't see them and-"

"Flo." I cut off her nonsense, shaking her cheeks a little. "You couldn't have done anything. They were going so fast... Alright? This isn't your fault, don't blame yourself. Blame whoever that was." I urge, and swallow. "You did absolutely nothing."

Flo looked down and she still blamed herself, I could see that. Then felt it from her when she moves to give me a huge massive hug again. Melting into my chest and holding onto my for dear life.

I held her back, maybe even harder. Resting my chin on her head. "He's gonna be fine. They said he's fine right now."

"But he might not be..." she muffled against my chest.

"We'll know after the scan, baby." I tell her. "It won't be long." They told us he was currently fine. Yet, since the seizure began from the car accident, they needed to check for any other trauma he could have received. They assured us it was most likely fine, the small accident and jolting just triggered it. "We should go back inside, Flo. They could be looking for us."

She nodded, but she didn't move. So I softly and slowly pulled us apart. I kept a hold of her as we went inside. I ignored every single eye and stare as we sat down. Then I put all my attention on her, sitting right beside. Holding her hands. Staring at her.

"Can you distract me?" Flo asked weakly, looking down.

Distract her. With what... what was I supposed to-

I cleared my throat. "You know how it's my birthday soon and I didn't want to do anything?" Flo nodded once, still looking at the ground. "I changed my mind." I added, and she looked at me. "I wanna spend the whole day with you and Ryan, and you have control of the entire day. We can do whatever you want."

"But it's your birthday, we do what you want-"

I shook my head. "What I want is to do whatever you want. You can plan the whole day for me. Whether it's home and eating pizza, watching a horror movie. Or brunch and the zoo, Flo. Ill be there with a smile."

Flo's face lightened a little as ideas definitely began to come to her, and that was a little scary. Because she definitely had a lot... She softly began to smile.