33. Destiny

"WILL YOU JUST STOP PACING!" Kamryn finally cracked. She had been staring at him with narrowed eyes as Xander had paced up and down the cave for hours on end.

"You're making me worry about them," she sighed painfully.

"Well I am worried about them," he said begrudgingly. The magic of the cave again forcing him to tell them how he really felt.

"You don't have the right to be concerned about their wellbeing," Kamryn growled.

"I think I have proved that I have more right than anyone here," Xander growled back. Tariq stepped in front of his mate and bared his teeth at the Alpha, a warning for him not to threaten his mate.

"I thought I read that you're marrying someone called Britney?" Ramona said casually, immediately breaking the tension between the two wolves.

Kamryn laughed out loud before she could stop herself then clapped her hand over her mouth. Tiger and Tariq both chocked down laughs and Dante smirked at his brother. Xander's jaw fell open, he was caught off-guard by Ramona's comment. In truth he had almost completely forgotten about his fiancé, she had never exactly been his first priority.

"Oh that's right Xander you have a fiancé," Kamryn said sarcastically and his face clouded in anger, he could tell he was in for an earful, "I do wonder what you're planning to do about this fiancé, because something tells me she won't be too happy to hear about your mate."

She out extra emphasis on the word 'mate' and watched as a vein on his temple trembled in anger.

"It's not my decision to make," he said seething, "Your sister hates me, but I must marry. I need a wife, and my people need a Queen. So unless your sister comes to accept me in the next few days, I have to carry on with this ridiculous wedding. Which believe me, I want no part of. I never wanted to marry anyone other than my mate. I still don't, but I no longer have a choice. I love Tequila, or Talayah or whatever her name really is. I love her. But I'm a King. My life isn't my own, I have a duty, and I'll be damned if I let my emotions make me weak."

His chest heaved as he took in their slightly shocked faces. They hadn't expected such an earnest speech on his part/ They had never expected the lethal and vicious King of werewolves to admit he loved a rogue.

"Have you told her?" Ramona asked.

"She knows about me duty," he looked exhausted.

"No," she stopped him, "I mean have you told her love her."

He blinked at her a few times as though she's spoken something offensive. Then he felt his chest tighten in fear at the thought of his mate's rejection if he ever told her how he truly felt. He growled in anger, the walls of the temple shaking slightly as his eyes glowed violet. This was exactly what he knew would happen; fear. He hadn't felt fear since his parents had been poisoned ten years ago. He was the King of all Alphas and werewolves, he had no reason to fear, they feared him. He stormed out of the cave leaving the ivy trembling as he went. He would not let fear be something he felt, instead he let pure anger wash over him, bathing in the familiar feeling of fury and power.

"He's hopeless," Kamryn rolled her eyes as he left.

"He's scared," Ramona said, "He has so much anger inside of him he's scared he'll lose the one person who can help him control it. Without his mate, the anger and darkness will eventually take over. So yeah, I would say he's terrified that he might end up alone and a monster."

"How on earth can you tell that?" Kamryn looked in confusion between Ramona and the curtain of ivy that Xander had just ripped down as we walked out.

"I'm good at reading people," Ramona shrugged and sat back down on a throne, turning her attention away from them to show she was done with the conversation.