39. Hope Isn't Forever

A month passed and still the Red Moon Pack found no trace of the King's attacker or his mate. The pack had searched almost the entire country. The King had personally visited almost fifty neighbouring packs asking them if they'd seen or heard anything. His hope of finding either woman was fading quickly. After the first month, he pulled back half of the teams searching for them. He needed to focus on keeping his family and his pack safe. He reinforced his borders and doubled the training of his warriors. He re-focused his attention onto his pack, they needed their alpha more than ever. However, the Seven Serpents never gave up. Before they knew it three months had passed, and every day they would go out and search places they had already searched a hundred times. They still believed that Tequila had been taken, and as always, they suspected their father. But Xander was becoming more uncertain every day. There'd always been so much secrecy around Tequila Torrianto. If she was hiding something, Xander would find out what it was. She wouldn't escape him again. He searched for her himself every night, but there was nothing left of her. Not a scent, not a track, not a whisper. It was as if she never existed. The more weeks that passed the more he lost hope. Everyday it was becoming clearer to him that she'd run away and she wasn't coming back. But as he ran back from another failed night search, he finally snapped. He was the King of all werewolves, there was no corner of the Earth she could run to where he wouldn't find her. He wasn't going to let her go so easily.

"SOMEONE GET ME MY BROTHER," he shouted as he entered the foyer.

The lingering guards jumped to attention and shot each other looks of uncertainty. They were used to the King's short temper, but the rage that had darkened the palace the last few months was unpredictable. They didn't want to the be the next target of his wrath.

"Which one your Majesty?" the bravest guard spoke up.

"DOES IT MATTER. GET THEM BOTH," Xander said, striding over to the man. The guard's eyes widened as the huge alpha looked down on him, his violet eyes glowing. He looked almost wild, he'd let his beard grow out and his hair had got so long he had to keep pushing it back out of his eyes.

"But i-it's the middle of the night," the guard winced, attempting to stand his ground.

"I DON'T CARE," the alpha snarled, showing him his extended canines.

"XANDER EMILIO VALENTINE," a woman's voice rang out across the foyer. The guards straightened up further and lowered their eyes.

"YOU NEVER SPEAK TO YOUR PACK IN THAT WAY," his mother seethed as she marched down the stairs, "AS MUCH AS YOU DESERVE THEIR RESPECT, THEY DESERVE YOURS. YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYWHERE IN LIFE BY TREATING PEOPLE LIKE DIRT."

She walked over to him and glared until he moved away. Xander growled quietly and took a step back from the trembling guard. He patted the man on the shoulder apologetically and sighed.

"Do as he says before he rips your head off," she said in an exhausted tone to the guard. He didn't wait another second and bowed hurriedly before running up the stairs.

"And you," she said turning to Xander, "Get in your office before you wake up the whole palace."

"AND PUT ON A D*MN SHIRT," she yelled after him as he stomped away grumbling insults under his breath.

"My god you'd think he was raised by wolves," she laughed to herself.

She cleared her throat with embarrassment when she noticed the guards were still present and hurried back up the stairs.

Xander sat behind his desk as he waited for his mother and poured himself a drink.

"Sorry to wake you but I need you in my office now," he mind linked Mateo.