40. Trust is a Fickle Thing

After the show Tequila had put on for Alice, Hadeon decided it was finally time to pay his daughter a visit. He cut the meeting short and took his wolves pack to his pack house. He found the guards outside her door still unable to move from their bowed positions. Although he could feel her aura, she was no longer screaming. Instead he found her whimpering in a corner, her head on her knees and deep bloody scratches on her arms and neck.

"Don't tell my you've hurt yourself to try and get some pity. You know better than anyone that won't work," Hadeon grimaced.

She lifted her head and he saw the dried blood on her face that trailed down from her eyes like tears. Her red eyes darkened as she recognised him and she growled in warning.

"It's the full moon," she snarled.

"Well get it together you've got a fight to survive," Hadeon snarled back.

"Excuse me?" she scoffed and stood up slowly, using the wall to steady herself.

"I've had Kane train you all these years and I'd like to show off your skills," Hadeon said with a sour expression as looked around the depressing room.

"So I'm a prize horse," she scoffed.

"See it however you want so long as you don't lose. I don't need you making me look weak."

"You mean you want to make sure that when you steal my power you can successfully fight a group of wolves," Tequila said with a raised eyebrow.

"Clean yourself up and get prepared, you fight in one hour," Hadeon shrugged and exited.

"So now I have to kill a bunch of people because he has to prove himself?" Tequila scowled as she walked into the tiny bathroom just off her room.

As she scrubbed the dried blood off her face in the cracked basin, she felt a familiar presence fill her mind and her soul.

"Athena, I know you're weak but I need you," she begged, "You need to help me survive this."

"Y-you don't," Athena replied weakly, "You're s-stronger than y-you think."

"But the wolfsbane he's been giving me has weakened my wolf senses, I might as well just be human. I mean I can barely feel you."

"You're still a-a witch," Athena said coughing.

"You're dying Athena."

"N-no. Talayah j-just play to your other strengths. You're more than just a wolf."

"Save your energy, it's okay. I've got this," Tequila said, as much to convince herself as her wolf.

"Where's my little warrior?" Kane's calming voice called out.

"Just getting ready as ordered," Tequila huffed as she exited the bathroom.

"How are you feeling?" he asked lazily as he laid back in the chair. She rolled her eyes and kicked him in the shin.

"Really Kane? How do you think? And we agreed when I was eight that feelings are a no-go."

"You're right no heavy stuff," he said holding his hands up in defence, "Are you ready for the fight?"

"I don't really have a choice do I?"

"No you don't. But I know you can beat them easily. You could do it with your eyes closed."

"You can't be so sure," Tequila scoffed.

"Yes I can, because I trained you. And I trained you to win," Kane said proudly.