Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Cait's POV

It's been 5 years simula nung nagbago ang mga buhay namin. We had a clean sweep that year and we battled our sister team Creamline for the finals. We won! Ace also won as the conference MVP! Sobrang proud ko as a girlfriend.

Thang recovered well for the following year, pero the management also decided to give Ace a more permanent contract. So she signed with us for the next 4 years.

JhoBea is going strong and nabawasan na ang mga bashers. In fact, they have regained their status of being one of PVL's strongest power couples. The fans eventually caught on our relationship too. We indulged them sometimes but we also tried to be as private as possible lalo na kapag may mga misunderstandings. And yes, napasama din kami sa listahan ng mga PVL power couples.

On our 4th anniversary as a couple, Ace proposed to me in the dugout after a game, in front of our family and friends. Unbeknownst to me, ilang buwan na niya tinatrabaho yung proposal including asking permission kay Papa and saving up for our future home. Minsan napakatraditional din talaga ng mahal ko. Syempre I said yes and we planned to have our wedding on our 5th anniversary. Today is that day.

I wish I could tell you that love was enough. I wish I could tell you that fighting for what we have was enough. I wish I could tell you na after ng lahat ng nangyari, everything was smooth sailing from then on. I wish I could tell you na enough yung pagsugal namin. I wish I could tell you that it was all enough to keep us together.

Lumaban kami, sumugal, nagmahal. Kaso sadyang mapaglaro ang tadhana.

Kaya ngayon imbes na palakad ako sa altar, nandito ako.

"Sobrang miss na kita. Ang daya mo kasi e." Wika ko habang nangingilid ang luha ko.

Naramdaman ko ang mga kamay sa mga balikat ko.

"Cait..." Mahinang wika ni Deanna habang nakapatong ang kamay nya sa balikat ko. Humarap ako sa kanya at niyakap sya. Naramdaman ko din ang init ng yakap mula sa likod ko. Sila Bea, Jho at Reg. Umiyak ako sa bisig nila.

Nang mahimasmasan ako, inabot ni Bea sa kin ang isang kahon.

"I was supposed to give this to you today as part of your wedding day. I think Ace would still want you to have it." Wika ni Bea.

I opened it up, it was a white gold volleyball necklace. May kasamang sulat.

"My Cait,
Ang tagal kong hinintay ang araw na to. Pangarap ko lang to noon, pero heto na tayo. Hindi ko alam kung anung mangyayari sa future. Madaming pwedeng possibilities, pero sapat na sa kin na makasama kang harapin ang kinabukasan kahit anu pa man ang mangyari. Thank you for taking a chance on me my love, for taking a chance on us. I know I promised you this from the very beginning naman, my heart is yours, now and forevermore kahit anu pa ang mangyari. Thank you Cait, sa mahikang dala mo sa buhay ko. I love you, always."

Yours forever,
Ace

My heart broke more. Pero at the same time, mas naramdaman ko ang pagmamahal nya.

"Cait... it's time." Wika ni Reg. Tumango ako.

Ate Den was holding the walnut urn while standing next to the edge of the sea. In the urn was Ace's ashes. Yes, she's gone.

She passed away 6 months ago, when a drunk truck driver ran a red light and hit her car at the intersection. She was on her way back from a meeting with our wedding coordinator while I was at another event.

We each took a handful of her ashes and scattered it into the water here in Zambales, the very place she almost lost her life 5 years ago, while saving three others. The place where it truly hit me that it's always been her.

There were some ashes left in the urn, na hiniling ko sa pamilya nya na ako ang magtago. I need a part of her with me for the rest of my life.

"I won't say good bye baby kasi alam ko someday we would eventually be together up there, I'll only say 'I love you, always.'" Wika ko as I turned away from the sea and started walking away.

Deanna and Bea held my hand as we all left what was supposed to be our wedding venue.

The End.