Chapter 258: Three Dwarves Will Come (2)

I am interested not only in world history but also in various other histories. While I may not express as deep an interest as I do in world history, I at least superficially research the parts that catch my attention.

And among the inventions representing the Industrial Revolution are the steam locomotive and the steam engine. Although I'm not an engineer and don't know well how steam engines work, I do know the events through which they were invented.

The steam engine didn't suddenly appear out of nowhere; rather, advanced technological capabilities were gradually accumulated, and the first invention was the steam pump. However, the steam pump of that time had extremely low efficiency and quickly declined. This led to the emergence of a new steam engine.

Of course, even this new version was hardly used except in mines due to its serious flaws. While it had clear drawbacks, in the first place it was nearly impossible to manually remove cold water from deep mines. In this sense, James Watt, by improving such steam engines and widely distributing them, deserves to be called the father of the Industrial Revolution.

With just one steam engine, human civilization rapidly advanced, heralding the beginning of a new era. And the first automobile was powered by a steam engine, appearing before the invention of the steam locomotive.

Undoubtedly revolutionary to people at the time, it unfortunately caused the world's first traffic accident because it lacked brakes.

For this reason, the inventor was sentenced to two years in prison, and the adoption of steam cars took a different turn. Fortunately, amidst this misfortune, the king recognized his merit and granted him a reward.

Following various improvements, steam power remained the sole source of propulsion until the 19th century, gradually fading into history with the advancement of internal combustion engines and the increasing demand for automobiles.

Though quickly overshadowed, unlike steam locomotives, which are hailed as representatives of the Industrial Revolution, one could argue that the history of automobiles also intertwines with steam engines.

Seeing how horse-drawn carriages were still useful during World War II, it took a considerable amount of time for their commercialization, mainly due to the poor conditions of roads, contrasting with the pre-existing rail tracks for steam locomotives.

Moreover, they were obscenely expensive. Even modern cars are not only pricey but also heavily taxed, so one can only imagine how it was back then. It was a luxury item reserved for the nobility.

Regardless, let's move past the history lesson and return to the world I'm currently living in.

About six months have passed since the news of Ains inventing the magical engine in the Dwarven kingdom of Makina. At the time, I remember being quite bewildered by the consecutive incidents of explosions during testing.

Although it was quite perplexing at the time, upon closer inspection, it's not entirely surprising for dwarves to invent magical engines. Dwarves inherently enjoy creating things, and consequently, mining industries have greatly flourished to obtain minerals.

Naturally, pumps would have been invented to remove water accumulating in mines. Thus, it wouldn't have been much of a stretch to improve upon these pumps and create magical engines, considering their history of innovation.

It's just that nobody had thought of it until then. Xenon's Biography was merely an inspiration, nothing more.

There's a question that arises here. If I knew so well, why didn't I mention such historical facts in Xenon's Biography? If I had, wouldn't it have been invented sooner?