Chapter 262: Double-edged Sword (1)

"Philosophy" holds a very important position in civilization. It is perhaps the literature that can be considered the most fundamental of the fundamentals.

Science, logic, politics, ideology, religion, language, psychology, and so on. By delving into the essence of "why?" it deepens human knowledge and insight even further.

If there were no philosophy, humanity would not have cultivated civilization properly, let alone nations. Even if civilization were cultivated, without dealing with philosophy, one should not expect development.

However, philosophy does not always show positive effects. The greatest example is Hitler, the protagonist of the Second World War, who has been simmering like a broth for so long.

Hitler's brutal and inhumane philosophy was surprisingly influenced by the famous Nietzsche. Not only that, but Stalin of the Soviet Union also originated from the father of communism, Marx.

Thus, philosophy is like a double-edged sword and undeniably has a significant impact on the development of civilization. It is a clear fact that even Earth, which has developed for centuries, would decline without philosophy.

There is no need to mention the importance of philosophy in this world. Especially for the sages, magicians, and clergy, philosophy exerts a tremendous influence.

The "enlightenment" that could come out in any novel was closely related to philosophy. Even without these, philosophy occupies a significant portion in this world that is actively developing.

In that sense, the philosopher aristocracy of the Minerva Empire, the Count of Rosebury, wields great influence in the empire.

Like many other nobles, the House of Rosebury did not have a strong military or financial power, but he made significant contributions to the development of the empire. Establishing the foundation of the country through profound philosophy was the basic, but the greatest achievement is undoubtedly the significant reduction in the disparity and gap between nobility and commoners.

To put it bluntly, if my father was born a hundred years ago, he might not even have become a knight, let alone a baron. That's how prevalent discrimination against commoners was in the past Minerva Empire society.

However, naturally, there are those who harbor resentment as a result. Starting from the question of "Why philosophy?" it was inevitable to contend with things that are taken for granted and things one must inevitably fight against.

Simply put, it means there are many enemies around. Philosophers are generally deemed unlucky due to their strong eloquence and logical reasoning.

Even the famous Socrates was considered unlucky by the citizens of Athens, as he kept bombarding people with philosophical questions left and right. In fact, Socrates is known for accosting people from all walks of life with countless philosophical questions.

Anyway, because of these reasons, the Count of Rosebury's family was like the dukes of Requilis, possessing only authority without power. They have been able to maintain their authority until now because there was no benefit in attacking them.

However, old wine eventually sours. Philosophy never decays by its very nature, but people do.

In particular, the House of Rosebury was famous for frequent internal divisions, which led him to start avoiding conflict altogether.

Furthermore, like the examples of Hitler or Stalin, adopting the wrong philosophy tends to lead to arrogance. A philosopher steeped in arrogance is no different from outright disregarding the fundamentals of philosophy.

Above all, there's no rule stating that philosophers excel in educating their children. Especially if the parents have adopted a flawed philosophy, it's even more so.