CHAPTER - 40

TW: This Chapter contains themes like stabbing, mental disease, suicide, death which may trigger some readers.

Aerin slowly opens her eyes only to be greeted by an familiar room. She tries to sit but winces as she feels her wound in the collarbone.

That's when she realizes that it was all not a dream, but reality. Her eyes widen as she realizes more. "Soyeon" she mutters, tearing up and sits up straight, not caring about any pain.

The nurses try to calm her down and made her lay down, since blood was being injected. After hearing about such ruckus tae-kyung rund inside the room.

"Aer, calm down" he says as he hugs her. "Tae, how's soyeon?" She asks. He sighs, and looks at the nurses "can we have a minute please?' the nurses glance at each other before nodding and heading out.

Tae-kyung sits beside aerin as she stares him waiting for an answer. "She's in the ICU, your dad did her surgery, the ambulance was perfect on time but still the cut is too deep" tae-kyung explains, his eyes on the floor.

Aerin slumps back into her bed, feeling miserable and guilty. "It's all my fault" aerin says quietly but still loud enough for her father who walked in to hear. "It's not" he says and before he could explain more tae-kyung speaks, his eyes still glued on the floor.

"Yes, Mr.Kim's right, it's not your fault. It's mine" aerin gets up and looks at him. "Tae, how is it your fault? You didn't do anything, it's me who walked on a dead silent road, that late at a winter night" she says and also her eyes averts to the floor.

"That's not it, Aer. If it wouldn't have been me, this wouldn't have happened at all" he explains now looking at her. Aerin looks back at him confused.

He pulls out something from his pocket. It was very big to fit in his pocket but was somehow hanging there. It was a diary. Aerin was still looking at him in confusion.

Her dad, acknowledged it and spoke "you can't blame yourself for that tae-kyung. Feelings are not something you can control" aerin looks at both of them confused.

"This diary belongs to Jung Sae-mi." He tells aerin. "Jung Sae-mi? Isn't she in our class?" Aerin asks, tae-kyung nods. "Her parents died when she was young, she have been staying with her brother. Her parents left some money and property for them, and the underground cabin was one of them. Jung Sae-myung, her brother and your kidnapper" tae-kyung stops to look at aerin.

"My what? How is all this related?" She asks. "Well the point here is, sae-mi had feelings for tae-kyung" her father spoke this time, recognising the hesitation on tae-kyung's face.

"And she thought that he likes you, and was really heartbroken. Her brother who loved her more than his own life, has never seen his sister like that. He always spent his time painting and making things alone, in a small dark room. He didn't go to school, because he wanted his sister to receive the best education. And now looking at his sister like this, he snuck out her diary and read everything and was raged. And wanted to kill you and tae-kyung" her dad finishes and a horrified look replaces the confused one on aerin's face.

"As per the doctors, spending too much time alone maybe had some effect on his mind, and maybe that made his mind work wrong. Which could be seen through the paintings he made, and all that he did to y'all" her father tells them.

Tae-kyung was silent all the time, looking down. Aerin looked at him and hugged him "none of this is because of you" and rubbed his back.

"Mr.Kim, the girl-" a nurse comes running to the room. "What girl?" Aerin's dad's eyes widen as he follows the nurse. Aerin and tae-kyung look at each other, before aerin gets on her feet. Tae-kyung takes out the syringe tucked into aerin's nerves.

And hold her hand before both of them run behind the nurse and her father. The nurse led them outside, and pointed upwards. They could see a girl standing on the terrace of the tall hospital building.

Everyone's eyes widen at the realization. "Sae-mi!" they all screamed "get off from there" and tae-kyung and aerin ran to the elevator. Tae-kyung pressed the buttons and both impatiently waited.

As soon as the elevator stopped both of them ran, only to trip on their own steps, as the girl jumped off.

Aerin fell on her knees, her mind processing whatever she saw. Tae-kyung walks forward and picks up something.

A letter, maybe it's her, she left it behind.

Tae-kyung opens it, his hands shaking, sweat dripping from his head in the cold evening. After reading it he also flops on the floor, tears streaming down his face.

Aerin looked at him. Tae-kyung rarely cries, and when he does you know it's the limit he can hold onto his emotions. Last time aerin saw him cry was after his mom's funeral, yes after, and not on the spot. He wanted to stay strong, so everybody would, he was just 12 then, and maturity hit him at the spot. Aerin stroke his back, and takes the letter from him.

Anyone who's reading this I just want to let you know, please say sorry to aerin, tae-kyung and soyeon once she gets up. Also give this small message to tae-kyung, that I loved him and will love him no matter who he loves. I didn't expect him to like me back, but also it hurts. Hurts more than anything. I didn't want him to find out this way, and that my brother is the best, whatever he did, was because he was out of his mind, since my parent's death anniversary is coming near. And my brother always looses his cool during this time, I have heard him talk in sleep about revenge. It was all my fault, only if I had kept my feelings to myself for a little more time, maybe then everything wouldn't have gone this way. Maybe my brother wouldn't have kidnapped aerin, attempted to stab tae-kyung or actually stab soyeon. And now, I really want to go away, far away, where nobody will find me, ever.

My only family was my brother, now he is away too, maybe I won't be treated the same in school also, maybe tae-kyung who atleast looked at me will never also do that, and in the end all I will be is alone. I never learned how to be alone, my brother always made me feel home. And now he is gone, I can't imagine my life without him. Nobody would have to tell him that I am dead, he will know, because he always does. That's it, I don't have much to say, all it is, is that sometimes even eyes do lie .

- Jung Sae-mi

Aerin clutched the letter in her hand, and took a deep breath. It's really hard for everyone, really, and the most for tae-kyung.

Aerin looks as the elevator makes a sound, and the door opens revealing her father who was breathing heavily. "Aerin! Tae-kyung!" He says, and tae-kyung looks at his way too.

"Soyeon.." he says catching his breath, as both aerin and tae-kyung's body stiffens at the mention of her name. "Soyeon- she's- she's no more."