The Perfect Date Gone Wrong

Maria's P.O.V.

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT!" I cried as I stormed out of the room. I ran around to the backside of the library and sat down with my face in my knees and my back against the wall. I can't believe he would say something like that. I trusted him. I thought he was honest when he said he liked me. It was too good to be true though. After all these years, why would he decide to like me now? I sobbed even harder.

"You okay?" A voice asked. I felt a person sit next to me. They put their arm over my shoulder. "You seemed pretty upset when you stormed out of the room."

"Go away Hotaru." I demanded before picking up my head. It's not like I didn't want to be comforted. I quite liked it. I just didn't want to appear weak for crying. I wiped my eyes vigorously in an attempt to hide the fact that I was crying since I had a feeling Lily wouldn't go away on being asked. I have a feeling I failed though.

"It's funny how you always think it's Lily even though it never has been." It was Adrienne's voice. She paused for a moment to think before continuing her thought. "Could that be because subconsciously you do really want Hotaru to come to you."

I thought that over in my head. I had never really thought about why I expect it to be Lily. Adrienne does have a fair point, but I don't quite think that that's it. "Nah. Just because I always feel like it should be Hotaru doesn't mean that I wanted it to be. I think it'sprobably just because I've known her longest. Besides Sam." Thinking about Sam hurt. I really don't understand why hewould insult me like that. When we had sared at the stars together the other night, I really felt like we had something special. "Why did he say that?"

"I don't think he thought much of it when saying it." Adrienne screwed up her face like she was trying to remember something. "He thinks it's cute and thought that something as cute as you blushing could never embarrass you. It wasn't meant to hurt  your feelings."

"Yeah right." I rolled my eyes. "Good try, but how on earth could you know that." Adrienne looked at me like I was an idiot. "Oh, yeah. I forgot."

"Nice going genius." She smirked. I smiled and rolled my eyes at her at her again. "Now you should start smiling. I don't like it when you're sad. It doesn't suit you.

We walked back around to the front of the library and sat down on a bench the played chopsticks for a few minutes. She won most of the time. I was so close to winning when Sam came out. Adrienne walked back into the library.

I was going to apologize for storming out of the room when I noticed that Sam's eyes were full of tears. At first it surprised me to see him crying, but after a few seconds, it made me feel sad as well because it was me who had caused him that pain. I looked him in the eyes for a few moments. Before I knew what I was doing, I had thrown my arms around him and started crying.

"I'm sorry." He whispered in my ear as we embraced. "I shouldn't have-"

"It's not your fault." I cut him off before e could finish his thought. "I shouldn't have overreacted."

"It's okay." He smiled apologetically. "I didn't realize that you didn't like your blushing. I think it's cute."

"You do?" I asked, blushing slightly.

"Yeah. I really do." He laughed a little. "It looks good on you."

I smiled. "Sorry I insulted your smartness."

"It's okay. I know I'm smart." He looked up at the sky for a few moment. "Do you want to go get some ramen or something?"

"You mean, like on a date?" I blushed even more. I've never been asked on a date before.