Part 2

Jermaine Cole

It's been 6 months since the incident with Mr. Smith. Only way I'm surviving is from my savings, not to mention I'm running low on that.

Downing the rest of my cup of hennesy, I rubbed my hand down my face. Staring at the blank tv screen I couldn't even began to think when I'll be able to get another job.

I'll probably have to sign up for a regular career which is something I'm not looking forward to. Deep in my thoughts I suddenly heard a knock at my door.

Sitting up quickly I was alert & grabbed my gun from the coffee table. I walked to the door looking through the peep hole.

"Who is it?" My voice boomed.

I wasn't expecting any visitors so why the fuck was someone at my door.

"My name is Philip Jackson I'm here to speak to Jermaine Cole." the elderly guy spoke.

"About what?" I asked through the door.

He needs to speak to me & I never seen him ever in my life.

"A job proposition.. Can you please open the door so I can explain more inside?"

After thinking for a moment I tucked my gun in my pants behind my back & slowly opened the door to invite him in. Once he stepped in I sized him up & realized that he looks as tho he wasn't here to hurt me or cause trouble.

"Philip Jackson

"Philip Jackson." he stuck his hand out awaiting for me to shake it.

Taking his hand into mine, I firmly shook it & offered him a place on the couch. I would offer him something to drink but I just remembered that I needed to go grocery shopping first.

"You're probably wondering who I am, & why I'm here." this Philip guy started off.

"I need a bodyguard that's trustworthy for a special person & Cynthia Smith recommends that I come to you." he continued.

I was surprised that she would recommend me after her husband died in my arms. I actually thought she hated me.

"She told me a lot about you & we also checked your background." he continued before I had to cut him off.

"Sir, I'm honored but after protecting Mr. Smith for many years, I think I came to the conclusion to not work in that field any longer." I had to let him know.

Even though I just complained about money issues, I had to think deeper than that. The experience I went through was enough & I didn't want to go through it again.

"I understand, but this person you'll be protecting is special & way bigger than Mr. Smith." Philip leaned over to where his elbows touched the tip of his knees.

"How special?" I questioned.

He smiled to himself & leaned back into the couch.

"Let's just say you'll get paid five thousand every two weeks."

My eyes furrowed together like 'yeah right' this guy couldn't be serious. Who's special enough to protect for five thousand every two weeks?

"I'm not protecting any drug dealers, I'm about straight up business & legal shit." I'm not trying to be locked up in a prison letting my life pass me by.

"Trust me it's not illegal at all." Philip laughed.

I nodded my head & thought for a minute. I'm not sure if I want to get back into this just yet.

I was hoping that I would find interest somewhere else but if this is my only option then so be it.

"Give me time to think about it." I finally spoke after a moment of thinking in silence.

"Ok." Philip stood up & straightened out his suit.

"When you make up your mind, give me a call." he handed me his card then walked out the door.

Looking over the business card I scanned over his name & number then tossed it onto the coffee table & went to the door to make sure it was locked.

After making sure everything was good, I walked into my room & laid across the bed. Five thousand every two weeks sounds really good for me but I just don't know if I'm ready to get back into that yet.