Chapter 12 - Blind Date

~~~ CHAPTER 12 - BLIND DATE ~~~

"What?" Suzana asked shockingly.

I told her about the incident the night before. I also told her how hurt I was on discovering about Stella.

The forty-something woman took out the baked macaroni and cheese from the oven. She was serving me brunch since I was not able to wake up early for breakfast. She put a serving of the macaroni on my plate.

I walked towards the refrigerator to pour my glass with a cold apple juice. She walked behind me, "Let me do it for you, señorita."

"I can manage, Suzana," I said, giving her a smile. When I was done pouring the juice, I settled on my favorite stool beside the kitchen island where I usually ate whenever Nigel was not around.

"Let's eat together, Suzana," I offered.

"I've already eaten, señorita. Thank you," she was wringing her hands like she was fidgeting over something.

"What's bothering you, Suzana? That Stella?" I delved a spoonful of macaroni into my mouth. Oh, I had never been too hungry... I woke up late for breakfast and even late for school that I decided not to go to my classes anymore. It was the ringing of my phone that actually woke me up. The call came from Kara who asked me why I was absent. I told her we would see each other after school as I promised her last night.

Suzana sat on a stool across me. She gazed at me intently. "I... I have something to tell you, señorita."

I drank one gulp of juice. The cold rush of liquid in my throat somehow awakened my senses.

"What is it? Tell me, please," I begged as I perceived she had to say something very important. Did it have to do about that Stella?

She began, "I... I've learned about Stella since..."

What? Suzana knew about her and she did not tell me about it before! For how long already?

"Since when?" I cried.

"S-since two years ago," she said not looking at me. She busied one of her hands in tapping slightly on the table.

"Two years ago?" I echoed. I couldn't believe it!

She sighed and continued, "I don't exactly know what's the real score between the two of them. But, I guess, theirs is a kind of an on-and-off relationship... I've seen them fight and make up..."

"Why? Does she often come here?"

"Not often though. But every time they aren't in good terms, she comes in here and bugs me where the señorito is. I was like her tracking device for the señorito."

"So Nigel hides from her sometimes?" I was curious. The intimacy they shared last night flashed back in my mind and from that scene, it was impossible for me to believe that he played hard to get sometimes with that woman.

"I'm sorry if I didn't tell you or the señora. I don't want to be a gossipmonger. P-please forgive me," Suzana sounded really sorry.

Tears fell from my eyes down to my cheeks. I had cried a lot last night. I even thought I no longer had tears to discharge but here I was crying again. The flashback just made me do it again.

"Oh, Suzana, I can't help it..." I said as I brushed the tears from my eyes. I stopped eating. I lost all my appetite.

"I'm sorry, señorita. I'm really, really sorry," she stood up, went to my side and brushed my back.

I got hold of her left forearm and rested my head on it. Then, I cried and cried.

I missed Mommy Carol. I missed Elena and Diego. I missed The Fields and the lagoon. I wanted to go home...