Chapter 14 - Crazy

~~~ CHAPTER 14 - CRAZY ~~~

Nigel was in his painting studio the whole day. It was kind of weird since it was a Saturday. Normally, he was out to his office to work on Saturdays. Even on Saturdays, he was that workaholic. That was why I wondered why he was staying home. Deep inside, I was grateful that he was locking himself in the studio for I was not ready to face him yet. I couldn't bear thinking what exactly happened last night. If he indeed was the one who changed my clothes, I didn't know how I might react in front of him. Well, if he indeed was the one, why did he bother anyway? He could just leave me lying on that bed with my cocktail dress! And I wouldn't be having this awkward feeling right now!

I was about to call Kara about what exactly happened last night when my phone rang. Kara called.

"I can't remember anything," I began when I answered it.

"Of course, you can't remember. You were drunk," she said with emphasis on the last word.

Drunk? Seriously?

"You actually vomited in Serge's car," Kara continued.

A gasp escaped from my lips.

"So it was a disaster then..." I muttered. Had I known that those flavored drinks would have that effect in me, I wouldn't have tried any one of them.

"I'm sorry, girl," Kara apologized, "I wasn't able to look after you."

"No, no, don't say sorry. I'm not your responsibility, Kara. I was just being naive," I said truthfully.

"But your Nigel... he was mad, very, very mad last night, Thea. Do you know that he was at the lobby when we arrived at your condo building? When he saw you unconscious in Serge's car, he immediately swooped you up and, before he walked away from Serge and me, he said I'm a bad influence and he doesn't want to see me around with you anymore!" Kara cried. "I'm so, so sorry."

"Nigel was mad?"

There was a pause before Kara answered, "You know, I think Nigel cares for you, girl. He looked very worried about you last night."

Worried about me? Cared for me? Nigel...

"You might be mistaken, Kara. Nigel never cares for me," I was in my denial state, I guessed. But, deep down inside, a sudden surge of hope swelled in my heart.

Nigel cared for me.

Then, it struck me. "Wait, Kara. You said he walked out on you carrying me?"

"Yeah."

"You mean you didn't come up here last night?" I started to get worried about what she was going to answer.

"Yeah... Well, I intended to... but he was mad. Besides, he---"

I didn't get to finish what she was saying. My phone just fell onto my lap.

I was so stunned by what I discovered. If it wasn't Suzana nor Kara, then it was really Nigel who put fresh clothes on me last night. Both my heart and my mind were horrified. I was in deep trouble.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

He came out of the studio past six o'clock in the evening. I was watching TV when I saw him treading towards the dining area from the hallway.

Passing the sofa where I sat, he appeared to not notice my presence. Well, his cold indifference had evolved into its seasoned perfection. Nigel could always make you feel that you didn't exist at all. He could make you feel that you were nothing and worthless. He could make you feel that you were the most despicable person on earth.