Chapter 44 - Brute

~~~ CHAPTER 44 - BRUTE ~~~

"We have a delivery for Señorita Althea Ruiz."

I paused and wrinkled my brows. What on earth was going on? Why were there men and women in pink tee shirts coming in the lobby of the institution and bringing bundles and bundles and bundles of roses of different colors and of different sizes?

"May we know if she's around?" I overheard one of the men asking the receptionist.

Doing some recording for the institution's files, I was actually in the desk together with the receptionist.

The sweet receptionist, who had become my friend recently, turned to me and gave me a quizzical but excited look.

"Huh?" I asked her confusedly.

"These roses are for you," she said to me, giggling and reiterating what the man said.

Huh?

I stood up and faced the people carrying the flowers. I was sure they noticed my befuddled look.

"This is Miss Ruiz," the receptionist introduced me to them.

"Oh, hi! Good morning, Señorita Ruiz. We have flowers delivered for you. So where shall we arrange them?"

What? Someone was sending me flowers?

My brain rushed to process everything and then I thought of Javier.

Of course, it would be Javier!

Who else would send me flowers? He was like the only man who showered me flowers since my high school days. This must be his way of compensating all the months that we hadn't seen each other.

But wasn't it overkilled? Did he really have to send a lot of flowers? And all had to be roses?

"Arrange? Oh!" I grasped my mouth with my palm.

I couldn't think of an exact place in the institution where the roses should be arranged. I was in complete shock. It was the receptionist who saved me by telling them that they could just have the flower arrangement in the lobby. The men and women, who I believed to be florists, would just have to decide where they would place the flowers in the lobby then.

Okay, alright, I was relieved. However, I was even more shocked when bunches of roses still kept coming in! How many were these roses? Hundreds? No, I didn't think so! Thousands? Yes, perhaps.

The florists immediately worked their way in the arrangement. Roses of different colors --- red, white, orange, pink, yellow --- were placed in bundles near the sofa, on the floor, on the side tables. All red roses were beautifully arranged on the desk. Some long-stemmed roses of red and pink were organized in careful detail along the wall so as not to distract the people coming in and out of the center. The flowers were just so glorious to see that my head was spinning round and round.

 The flowers were just so glorious to see that my head was spinning round and round