Chapter 21 - The Boss

~~~ CHAPTER 21 - THE BOSS ~~~

With his long sleeves rolled up in his arms, Nigel helped me do the dishes. The washing area in the kitchen was too little a space for two persons so that the both of us stood side by side like we were literally breathing the same air. Every now and then, our arms touched each other, hands collided accidentally, and bodies rubbed producing electricity volts in all parts of my being. It made me shudder and prickly tingly in the skin, yet... why the hell was it so damn gratifying?

"That dinner was awesome, princess," Nigel spoke softly in my ear as I was about to open the door to my bedroom. He walked with me in the hallway after we made the kitchen immaculately pristine.

Anything for you. I wanted to say but for some reason I couldn't open my mouth. I was too overwhelmed with every thing that happened during the whole evening. However, I managed to give him a wonderful smile.

In times like this when there were just the two of us, not fighting and not dissenting each other, I could feel my heart getting bigger and bigger. I was glad he was starting to open up to me. Maybe, he really did love me... just like what Kara said. Maybe, all I needed to do was wait.

"I'll be out of the country tomorrow," he broke the news as he grabbed my right forearm. "Do you think Suzana will be here by then?"

Out of the country?

"Until when?" I asked feeling lonely.

"Can't still tell when. It depends," he squeezed my arm and I jolted. "Will Suzana be already here tomorrow?"

"Yeah, she said she'd be absent only for today. She promised to be here tomorrow morning," I relayed what Suzana told me in the phone.

He let go of my arm and brushed his fingers on his hair. We were still standing and facing each other in the hallway.

"That's good then," he muttered within his breath.

"Yeah," I also muttered. "So, what time is your flight?"

"Very, very early tomorrow."

"Okay," I said putting my right hand on my chest. I was still surprised of the fact that we wouldn't be seeing each other for a couple of days.

"I need to go get some sleep now," he said not moving. He was supposed to go to his room now but he was still standing and looking at me... surveying my face?

"Y-yeah, okay," I spoke waiting for him to go into his room first.

Finally, he turned around so his back was facing me. His hand was on the verge of grabbing the doorknob leading to his room.

"Wait---" I called Nigel out.

He faced me again. His right brow was raised a bit, his hands in his pockets.

How about a goodnight kiss, Nigel...

"Good night," I said instead.

He smirked and spoke, "Good night as well, Althea."

"O-okay..." I mumbled, not finding any more words to say. Oh, I didn't want this night to end. I wanted to stare at him just like what I was doing now.

Nigel also didn't move from where he was standing.

I surrendered from our eye contact. "S-so... I..."

Then, closing our distance, he strode towards me and gripped one of my hands with his. I jolted once more. "I... I'd like to show you something when I come back..."

My mouth opened in awe. What was he going to show to me? His HEART? Ohh, please show me your heart.

"And, Althea, thank you for tonight," he whispered in my ear.